Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case. 1845C pins or bolts

BDO · 2020-06-10 15:06

1996. - CASE 1845C DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT SIZE THE BOLTS / PINS ARE FOR THE BOTTOM QUICK CONNECT. THE LARGE PINS ARE HELD IN BY EITHER BOLTS OR PINS NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO USE. NOT SURE THEY USE 2 BOLTS OR 2 PINS. AND WHAT SIZE THEY ARE.

Replies15
  1. #1kshansen2020-06-10 18:00

    Well not sure if your are talking the quick connect to the boom or what else? Not trying to be a wise guy but how about taking a tape measure to the holes and see? Also not knowing what coupler you have or if it is actually a Case coupler it would just be a guess for me. But you could take a look here: https://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr57482ag39140 Note that there may be as many as 6 different Case couplers and who knows how many aftermarket ones!

  2. #2BDO2020-06-10 19:53

    Thanks. The reason I was asking is I put 2 hardened bolts in and they broke. Just wondering what was OEM. I got it used. It's the lower large pins with the teardrop shaped bracket. Thanks

  3. #3Theweldor2020-06-10 19:56

    From the sounds of it. The pins and bores are shot. If those bolts are supposed to hold the pins in, they will do that if the pins do not shuck around and shear those bolts off.

  4. #4kshansen2020-06-11 08:20

    Agree there must be some major problem either with the machine or how it is being operated.

  5. #5Bls repair2020-06-11 15:13

    Photos of problem area will get everyone on the same page.

  6. #6climb.on2020-06-12 14:21

    I just replaced both the pins and bushings on mine today. The pins are 1.250” bushings are a couple tho over that. I can’t imagine we are talking about the same lower bucket tilt pin, if you broke a 1.25” bolt off on yours.

  7. #7BDO2020-06-12 15:08

    Here is what I was talking about. Thanks guys

  8. #8climb.on2020-06-12 16:11

    Ok yes this makes sense now. The pins are 1.250.” The bolts are 3/8” I believe. The problem with these pin is that they are not greaseable. Inexplicably Case did not provide a means to grease them. The previous owner of my machine drilled the end of the pins and Installed a zerk so they are greaseable. I plan to do the same with my new pins. Your pins are probably seized in there and rotating with the bucket cylinder and shearing off the bolts. Can you knock the pins out and give them a little grease?

  9. #9kshansen2020-06-13 10:57

    Also with those type of bolt retainers if there is slop in the bores of either the bushings or quick attachment the 3/8 inch bolts will not hold up long. And if there is lots of slop there even after drilling for grease yo may continue to have problems. Kind of locking the barn door after the horses have run away! But still might be worth a try. One idea that I can think of, but not sure how to explain it in text, would be to after drilling for a grease fitting next drill out the hole in the ear of the pin to say 3/4 inch if there is enough meat for that. Then make a bushing that is a loose fit in that hole and about 1/16th inch longer than the thickness of the ear on the pin with the center hole drilled for the 3/8 ths inch bolt. Next make a washer about an inch or bigger with a hole for the 3/8 ths inch bolt and then assemble with a bolt that is as long as possible to bolt the washer and bushing solid to the attachment frame. This would keep the pin from coming out but allow some movement to reduce the shear action on the bolts. I'll try to draw a sketch if I can make it look reasonable.

  10. #10kshansen2020-06-13 11:42

    Okay here are a couple different drawings first is my rough sketch. Second one is showing the pin attachment for a Cat 980 G, colors in both are the same. Note in the drawing below the clearance around the red bushing in the ear of the pin to allow some movement of the pin without stressing the bolt.

  11. #11climb.on2020-06-13 14:09

    I just drilled new OEM pins to make them grease-able. The cross drill is the tough one...the pins are surface hardened. The core drill in the tailstock was no problem, but I needed a carbide drill for the cross bore. The previous owner did the same, but I'm not sure if they made their own from scratch or drilled the factory pins. Either way the pins are bushings needed replacing. Here are the old bushings and pins....the weld bead in the bushing was to shrink them for easier removal.

  12. #12climb.on2020-06-13 14:11

    Here I'm drilling the new pins....

  13. #13climb.on2020-06-13 14:11

    In the machine....

  14. #14kshansen2020-06-13 14:23

    I might have tried using a grinder to cut through the surface hardening making sure not to leave any sharp edges to cause stress risers in the pin. But if you have access to a carbide bit that works too!

  15. #15climb.on2020-06-13 15:51

    I considered that...and was probably my next option. But I'm a rookie and don't usually know the best way. I tried a HSS bit which barely made a dimple, then I went to a carbide masonry bit...hey it's carbide right? LOL. Probably not recommended, but it'll do in a pinch!