Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trouble Removing a Pin From Joystick

01Time · 2020-06-10 21:32

I'm replacing the RH joystick on my Cat 246 (s/n 5SZ0xxxx), but I can't seem to get this pin out so I can move the stud over to the replacement handle. I've tried needle-nose pliers, WD40, and vice grips. Is there a trick to removing this? My next thought is a cutting wheel, but I'd really like to avoid destroying it because it won.

Replies10
  1. #1Jonas3022020-06-10 21:42

    You need a roll pin punch One with the ball in the end to keep it centered is best but anything will work in a pinch support the other side with something like a socket and drive it though it will be tight

  2. #2Txhayseed2020-06-10 21:43

    You need a roll pin punch.

  3. #301Time2020-06-10 22:15

    Ahhh...makes sense. I'm glad the solution is much simpler than, just destroy it!

  4. #4Vetech632020-06-11 07:21

    You NEED a roll pin punch!

  5. #501Time2020-06-11 08:10

    Yes I do!

  6. #6Bls repair2020-06-11 15:17

    What does the opposite side look like?

  7. #701Time2020-06-11 15:31

    I’m not at home right now to snap a photo, but based on the replacement handle I have, the hole goes all the way through to each side.

  8. #8heymccall2020-06-11 15:57

    The hole goes through the whole way. Just use a suitably sized punch. Changed quite a few here. Some replacement units come with a screw instead.

  9. #9Bls repair2020-06-11 16:33

    If it’s sticking out on the other side get a bigger punch to tap it down level then get a pin punch a tad smaller then the hole and tap the roll pin out the other side.

  10. #1001Time2020-06-12 10:25

    I think the wrong sized roll pin was used. The diameter of the empty side of the hole was smaller than the side with the pin in it. I could only fit a 1/8 punch into the empty end, but it was too small to push the pin out (it would move into the opening of the pin). A 5/16 punch seemed like it would've worked, but it wouldn't fit through the empty side. So, I drilled out the empty side with a 5/16 bit. Everything then seemed to line up. But, I don't know if it was my original efforts using the wrong tools, but I couldn't get the roll pin to budge. I had the handle locked down with a vise and hit that pin punch with extreme force - and it did nothing. Eventually the handle started to crack and I figured since it was garbage anyway, I cut the stud out. Even with the stud removed from the handle, the pin was not wanting to come out. I finally got the pin out after I cut it flush with the stud and then was able to tap it out with the 5/16 punch. I moved the stud to the new handle and used a screw in place of the roll pin.