Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845c Starter and Solenoid troubles

jvtrucking ยท 2014-08-01 13:02

Hello, all: I have a Case 1845c skid steer and I am trying to tweak my machine because I just pretty much rebuilt the whole thing. The finishing touches are harder than I thought, though. The engine runs good and it has a lot of new parts, but the starter system is giving me trouble. It started with the starter (one solenoid attached) dragging on the flywheel, causing a bad noise that I knew couldn't be good. It was running fine for at least an hour while testing, I sure don't know how it started doing that or why. I just replaced the alternator because it wasn't charging, and now the new one doesn't either. (Which may or may not be related, another problem to deal with!!!) Now, I decided to try and add a relay like some guys had suggested in one of the other posts about this machine and the noise between the flywheel and starter still happens, but now, I can't get the thing to shut off with the switch and I have to remove the battery cable. It seems that after shutting off the key switch, that the solenoid is still jumping the starter. There is nothing wrong with the switch, so I'm thinking it must be something related either with the new solenoid, or the old setup (the one that is standard for the 3.9 Cummins). If anybody can offer me some advice about this, I would greatly appreciate it. Either regarding the alternator or the starter, bc I think it's all related. Thanks! ~JV

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2014-08-02 18:00

    Lets start at the added solenoid. Can you run a test lead from the "signal" wire on the new solenoid so that you can see if the solenoid is getting power after the start switch is turned off? Test it with the engine off, switch in run postion, then hit the starter for a second but don't start it, and let it back to run and check for voltage, and then start the engine and check the voltage (quickly) with the engine running and starter making noise. I suppose the alternator could be "backfeeding" the starter solenoid somehow ( really can't think right now, too hot) so the quick and dirty fix isn't helping you, you might need to figure out where the voltage drop from the alternator is with the engine running. It's not as hard as it sounds if you can follow the wires and use some test leads and a multimeter.

  2. #2jvtrucking2014-08-09 12:00

    Thanks for the reply, Delmer. I ended up replacing the original solenoid, it got burned up somehow. That worked for a few starts, but now I think it's the switch that has gone out on me! :beatsme Oh well. The machine runs good at least! Once I can get the darn thing started.