My 1845C has started giving me issues starting. When you turn the key its about 50/50 whether it cranks or not. I hear the click but it doesn't crank. Seems like maybe if i play with the key, it starts sometimes. Question is could this be something as simple as the ignition switch? What else could cause this? The battery is fine.
If you hear the click from the starter, then more than likely it's the solenoid on the starter. I don't know this machine, but there may be a start relay in the dash that you hear when you turn the key, or even an accesory relay turning off. If you have a helper, or a long test lead and multimeter, it's pretty straightforward to go through the connections on the starter to see where the power is going and where it's not.
1845C's are notorious for starter problems. I have replaced at least three on mine.
Start by making sure all connections are good, especially the battery posts. After that, trace out to find the starter solonoid.
We've had this said before and the instalation of a relay in the system could be the cure,perhaps the old thread relating to this could be found.
I hear the load click or clunk from the started area when i try to start it. Where is the starter solonoid? Is it on top of the starter?
The solenoid is the 2" cylinder on the starter that the battery terminal and the big wire going into the starter are attached to. The clunk is the plunger (which is a couple of ounces of steel) slamming the contacts together to connect the starter to the battery. Those connections burn out over time. If you can get them apart, you can probably get replacements contacts, or even file the old ones clean and flat. It's also possible that the battery cables have a loose connection somewhere that carries enough current to operate the solenoid, but not enough to turn the starter.
If that has the gear reduction starter, like the b'hoe and dozers, the solenoid is a squared off section that the battery cable is hooked to. If you can get to it on an 1845 (been a long time since I messed with one :beatsme ), you can just take the screws out and take the end plate off. The contact is a round copper washer right there, and two copper tabs on each side of the housing. You can usually sand or file them and go again for a while. A lot of times a bad connection will carry enough power to pull the solenoid in, but not very hard, which will cause these contacts to burn earlier than normal. If it has lasted a good while, I'd clean them up and try again.
This is an older thread about fitting a relay - HeavyEquipmentForums There was another I recall with a member getting a "kit" off ebay? ...... can't seem to locate it ..... I really dislike the HEF 'search' tool....... Edit - I did find the 'kit' on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Uni-loader-1845c-Starter-Upgrade-Solves-Clicking-/330357733009
Try tapping on the starter with a hammer while trying to start it. "Tap", not hit. If its hard to reach u can rest the tip of a long screwdriver etc. on the starter and tap the butt of the screwdriver. If this helps then the problem is local to the starter.
I have an 1840 that would just click, too. I fitted a 3 post ford relay to it, and it works ALL the time. About a $20.00 fix. I wish I had done it months ago, as it is really embarrassing having the skid that wont start. For what it's worth, the loud click that I heard actually turns out to be the fuel shutoff solenoid, not the starter solenoid at all.