Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cold weather drive delay

Gorman ยท 2013-01-23 16:41

Howdy, my asv sr-70 has a delay in the drive when it's cold. The guy who sold it to me said it is what I should expect. In really cold weather the delay is sometimes unproductive and somewhat scary. Is there anything I can do besides running a thinner oil? Am I cursed to live with this on my machine?

Replies9
  1. #1grandpa2013-01-23 18:00

    Have you changed your Hyd. filter? Heck, its thirty two below here and my cat has no delay.... well a little bit when you first start....lol.

  2. #2Canadian_digger2013-01-23 19:22

    Does the delay go away once the machine warms up?

  3. #3Steve Frazier2013-01-23 19:59

    My Cat skid steer is the same way until the oil warms up. The first time it happened it was a little scary because the machine doesn't stop when you want it to but I quickly learned to adjust my driving accordingly until the oil warms.

  4. #4grandpa2013-01-23 20:06

    Yes... the delay goes away about may.

  5. #5k452013-01-24 08:04

    FWIW, for really cold weather, Deere says to allow a 20 minute (IIRC) warmup before operating. There is no built in restriction but it is a recommendation. I can imagine that it takes quite a while to warm up all that hydraulic fluid.

  6. #6Gorman2013-01-24 09:40

    Yeah, the delay goes away when it warms up. But for some reason the cold does nothing to the lift arms. I didn't know if there was a fix.

  7. #7k452013-01-24 11:57

    I think the real issue is what damage may occur if you operate without sufficiently warming up the fluids. Blow a filter cartridge? Blow a seal on a pump..... How to speed it up? Keep it inside in a heated shed? ;-) Heater units on the hydraulic tank? Take it inside the house with you like some Harley guys do?

  8. #8Gorman2013-01-24 15:01

    I always let it "warm" up for about thirty minutes in the cold weather but the hydraulic fluid never seems to do any warming until I start actually using it and lifting logs n stuff.

  9. #9k452013-01-24 15:20

    My hydraulic fluid warms up at a fast idle, it shows on the digital dash (JD325). I would think even just sitting there, the pump is pumping fluid through the bypass valve.