Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845C Stopped Running

CTCMachine ยท 2015-04-17 18:19

While repairing numerous hydraulic leaks on my 1845C the unit didn't hesitate or shutter and just shut down. As if someone had turned the key switch to the off position. The unit would not start again. It is currently cranking but not starting. I have filled the fuel and bled the filter, pump and lines. How much fluid should be coming out of the lines? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this unit. I am wondering if I may have a bad shut off valve in the pump, maybe a weak coil. Is their a way to test it on the unit? I did check resistance from connection to ground and it read very low resistance. I also checked for voltage to the coil and it did read 12 VDC and now reads 0 VDC. Does anyone have the service manual for this unit? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Do I have to buy the CASE parts from case?

Replies2
  1. #1kshansen2015-04-17 20:12

    If when you say you checked voltage at the coil you mean the coil in the fuel pump if you are not getting 12 volts to it when key is on and trying to start the engine that is most likely your problem. On our old 1845C there is an inline fuse in the harness under the seat. Do not recall if the starter will crank with it bad but know it won't run. Remove the seat and to the right side of pumps(right side if you were sitting in the seat) see if you have that fuse and make sure you have power on both sides of the fuse.

  2. #2CTCMachine2015-04-25 09:00

    Some Operators Need To Be Beat Walked into shop the next morning and the unit started right up. Completed the last check for leaks and just as I am about to move unit off the blocks unit again just shuts off. I changed nothing in the engine compartment or electrically at that point in time. I immediately went to the fuel shut off solenoid and checked for voltage. Voltage disappeared again. So without a wiring diagram I began tracing wire back manually finding all sorts of bad splices and repairing them all the way to the relay. I removed the relay tested with a 12Volt power source relay operated and had continuity. I put 12VDC directly to the solenoid and unit started again. So I checked the power to the relay with key on. Found 9VDC on the coil positive of the relay. Somehow from the key to the relay I lost 3VDC. Left meter on the positive side of the terminal and began moving wires to see if I had a short somewhere. While moving the wires my 9VDC raised and lowered itself from 6VDC to 11 VDC. Followed wires back to the seat switch. Which is where I found my operator installed connector buried under the left harness. The connector had been working but was losing connection when moved a certain way after unit would sit running for a while. So the whole time it was this connector losing continuity in the circuit and creating a voltage drop. I had checked this switch for continuity earlier and verified it good but never checked for voltage. Cost me 8hrs in total of down time. Thank you Kshansen Regards, CTC