Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 350

Greenleaffarms ยท 2011-12-28 07:55

Hello all, I recently purchased a Case 350. It didn't come with any manuals. Yesterday I drained the transmission oil. It was milky and green in color. I purchased rotella 30 weight to use in the transmission. Any reason it won't work? Also anyone have a source for the brake/clutch bands?

Replies8
  1. #1alrman2011-12-28 15:26

    Welcome Greenleaffarms! Please describe, with a little detail, what your problem is, are you changing oil because machine wont drive at all or not driving properly? Is the transmission oil you changed, the shuttle, or gearbox/differential ?

  2. #2sheepfoot2011-12-28 20:44

    just for info, hyd res 8 gal TCH, converter 8 Qt TCH, trans 8 Qt use #1 engine oil SAE 30 (-20 to + 60) and 135 H EP gear lube (above +10 F), engine w/filter 6 Qt, final drives each side 2.5 Pt 135 H EP gear lube, looking at the chart. I would run the 30 in the trans due to temp outside in your area, but the converter use the TCH fluid or lube that meets the spec. Had seen some band kits on line in the last few weeks.

  3. #3Greenleaffarms2011-12-29 05:23

    The oil was in the gearbox differential ( The most rear cover on the machine) The crawler was operating fine except the right side needed a tightening up on that brake band. I tried to tighten the outer adjuster but it was pretty much bottomed out. That's when I pulled the cover to tighten and found the emulsified oil. That brake lining looks like it will need replacing soon as material is starting to squeeze put of the sides near the ends of the band. I have photos but don't think they will load to this sight from a smart phone?

  4. #4JimInOz2011-12-30 07:17

    I think the steering case requires a mineral gear oil ,in order to preserve the brake linings & aid steering.(GL1 or GL4 ,I forget??) Maybe General Gear in Idaho has new bands.

  5. #5Greenleaffarms2011-12-30 18:21

    Thanks for your help Jim.

  6. #6melben2012-01-12 19:59

    you are correct on the mineral based 90 WT oil, to preserve the linings standard 90 WT should not be used. Back off the external adjustment and then tighten the internal adjustment then readjust with the outside. Mel

  7. #7Greenleaffarms2012-01-14 06:37

    I put straight 30 weight shell rotella in it. The crawler won't see much if any use as we finally have winter and snow. Would it be best to put 90 weight in it come spring?

  8. #8thebaz2012-01-18 19:09

    I would think Rotella 30 is totally the wrong oil, it should have a 90 weight non ep GL1 gear oil. There are helical and planetary gears in that transmission and they work pretty hard when you are steering them. For the sake of under 10 ltrs of oil I would drain and refill with the correct oil.