Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 380 Possible injector issues

tomjc ยท 2014-07-24 20:37

Tractor idles fine but misses during acceleration, and smokes a lot. Don't know where to start Tom in Iowa

Replies7
  1. #1sheepfoot2014-07-24 21:38

    Tom, is it a 380 or 380B, the 380 is a David Brown and the 380B is a case/IH.

  2. #2tomjc2014-07-25 07:51

    Actually it is a Case 380 CK, but it does have David Brown gauages and tool box mounted on it

  3. #3Mobiltech2014-07-25 13:51

    Have you done anything on the fuel injection pump lately. Even just bleeding or running out of fuel.

  4. #4tomjc2014-07-25 18:19

    The tank was empty when I bought the tractor,(broken sediment bowl), and the tractor had a bad miss. I bought a used injector and it made it a little better. Took valve cover off and all valve springs and push rods look correct. I have tried to bleed off air several times. It starts right up and idles nice. I am thinking it must be some kind of injector problem. Have not touched the pump

  5. #5sheepfoot2014-07-25 23:41

    There is several things that I would do, not knowing the history, how many hours on the machine?. I would pull all the injectors and send them out to be tested, Take the injector spare and gut it to make a adapter to do a compression test and get a feel of the internal condition. The valves should be set at .010 intake/exhaust set when cold, the compression test should be done at around 70 degrees with all injectors out. Cranking speed at 150 rpm you should be at 380-400 psi and at 250 rpm you should be at around 415-435 psi. The injection pump has to be timed with the oil pump, so before thinking about removing it, some research will need to be done to make sure timing can be correct. Also check out the air cleaner for restriction to make sure it can get plenty of air. I would also slip some marvel mist oil in the fuel and engine ( some will not like this but it works) or a good fuel treatment at least in the fuel tank. Check the shut off system for stop lever to be sure it's returned to the run position. More later as my thoughts come back from the 70's !.

  6. #6Mobiltech2014-07-26 14:41

    Does the fuel injection pump have a little Screw with a T handle in the bottom of it?

  7. #7tomjc2014-07-27 17:59

    No T handle on bottom, but there is one on side of injection pump.