Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 40XT or SV185

suladas ยท 2018-06-16 20:00

Between two machines, looking to spend under $20k and not much choice, narrowed it down to one of these. 05 40XT 3500 hours they will take $14k needs tires and battery, or a 2011 SV185 with 5200 hours asking $18k at dealer looks pretty good, assuming they might budge $1k or so max, but still GST on price where other is private sale, both are decent deals though. Both have enclosed cabs with doors. Main concern is the 40xt just too small though? My comparison is mostly running a 2001 75xt and a 2010 430, I prefer the creature comforts of the 430 for sure, but the cab is narrower and controls a bit awkward, but overall for the small amount I use a skidsteer I have no problems with either cabs. Would the 11 cab be any better there? Is the 40xt cab smaller then the 75xt? I don't notice the 200lbs difference between the two machines at all, but 1500lb capacity is quite a bit lower. I find the only thing limiting me is traction not lifting capacity with current machines. The machine will be used for backfilling basements, loading a bit (maybe 5 loads max), and the odd grading, piles, etc. I am leaning towards the 40XT, the only hesitation is if it's just too small of a machine to be useful. Where i'm at is Pros of 40XT Can easily haul with my mini hoe and still have some weight for extra things 5' wide less hours less electronics and emissions garbage Pros of sv185 More capacity being bigger machine Vertical lift will load trucks better Better cab

Replies8
  1. #1GaryHoff2018-06-17 00:16

    Sounds like your already familiar with the Case product line, and it seems you have done some homework. See if you can demo the SV185. The 2011 sv185 should have a tier 3 engine, which didn't cause any issues. The 40xt has the 3.9L Cummins, very good engine also. Is the sv185 electronic or mechanical controls? The electronic controls can switch back and forth from ISO to H pattern. The mechanical controls are more reliable. The cab is significantly better on the sv185 The cab is slightly smaller on the 40xt, vs the 75xt. Common issues with the alpha series machines: Turbo failures Electronic issues, : joystick wiring, fuse box melting, harness corrosion (see this post, New Holland machines are the same) HeavyEquipmentForums Software update, after software update. Common issues with the XT series: Fuel shut off solenoid failures Travel motor failures Hydraulic leaks If you are on a budget, and don't mind doing your own repairs, then I would chose the 40xt. Its way easier to repair it yourself, and there is significantly less electronics, and safety devices. The 40xt is likely in need of some repairs, depending on how it was kept and maintained. Most parts are still readily available for the xt series. Its probably big enough for what your doing, but you will be the best judge of that. You may have trouble loading trucks with it. The SV185 is still a good choice also, if you need the extra power. Just a FYI, to cross a case engine part number to a cummins part number just switch the J with a 3 at the beginning of the part number. Only works with xt series, and 1845C, 1840C, and other units with the Cummins engine. For example, Fan belt Case part # J911558, Cummins part # 3911558

  2. #2jacobd2018-06-17 01:46

    x2 to what Gary said. Especially about going with the 40xt if you're owner-operating and maintaining. The SV will have more creature comforts and bells and whistles, but you can't beat the reliability of the XT with its Cummins B series and mechanical controls. And, iirc, being an '05 it came with updated drive motors that aren't prone to failure like the early ones (you can read all about that here HeavyEquipmentForums ) If it were me I'd go with the 40xt. Not quite as comfortable or as capable but cheaper and much less hassle. Only you will be able to decide if it's large enough though. If you haven't already, look into a set of Grouser tracks. They make a night and day difference to traction on a wheeled skid.

  3. #3Tenwheeler2018-06-17 08:25

    The 185 here often has electrical problems. Dealer has recommended replacing the harness of it requires over 4 hours diagnostic time. Quated $8000,00.

  4. #4suladas2018-06-17 15:21

    That was exactly what I was thinking. The 75xt is my dads and have been fantastic, had it 13 years got it at 2000 hours has 8000 now, has been abused and not maintained very well and hasn't needed much in repairs. Replaced one drive motor x2 and one one time (one was replaced right before getting it), the hose issues have popped up, happened twice. But have run a hammer on it quite a bit which shakes the hell out of everything. If the 40xt is as reliable, i'm not too worried. The drive motors was my biggest concern. I will be doing all my own repairs, that I am able to. Will maybe see 300 hours on it a year, so provided what I buy is in good shape, I don't see it needing much in repairs in a few years even. I'd rather do hose repairs then tracing down electronic problems though. I'm not sure if the 185 is mechanical or electronic, i've heard the newer mechanical aren't great? Or maybe just someone use to the new electronic? The 430 is electronic and more responsive, but I find once you're in the xt for a few minutes and use to them, they are just as good. I did have a concern about loading trucks, trying to find reliable reach and dump height numbers to compare. If I lost a few inches in height it would be ok still.

  5. #5KSSS2018-06-17 18:03

    I would take the later model SV185's over an XT series but not likely that one. 18K is too much, you could get a newer machine with a lot of the updates for that or slightly more. The 40XT only comes with 10X12.5 which I find worthless. The XT's are pretty solid but uncomfortable to run, the cabs really were bad. I have rented a SV185 for a day with mech. controls. Never again. The EH version is a productive machine, bigger tires, more capacity, and powerful enough to get work done. None of the applies to the 40XT. I have had numerous XT machines, but I would not own a 40XT.

  6. #6Tenwheeler2018-06-17 19:53

    The 185 is strong and fast. Maybe good with an updated harness or a later model than the one here. Don't know anything about the 40XT but 10x12.5's sound quite small.

  7. #762oliver2018-06-18 02:58

    I think that should read 10 x 16.5 size tires

  8. #8KSSS2018-06-18 17:17

    That was a miss type it is 16.5 not 12.5