Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 420 Blown Fuse When Park Break Released

Joe Skeeter ยท 2019-03-09 10:30

I had a short on a wire coming out the alternator to ground (yellow wire that runs through the 50ohm resistor). It ended up frying the instrument cluster. I fixed the wire and replaced the instrument cluster. Now I can get it to start, but as soon as I released the park brake it blows the 15 amp fuse that powers the interlock/instrument cluster. I'm not very familiar with electrical systems, but have tried to troubleshoot using the service manual. The only thing I can come up with is the terminal for the same wire that shorted to ground (121A - from alternator through 50 ohm resistor) is supposed to read 1.1 volts when in the Run position, but I'm getting approx 12 volts. I've checked the resistance on the circuit all the way through and it comes up right at 50 ohms. I've got an "alternator check" feature on my battery charger and it says the alternator is good. Did something fry in the alternator to cause it to put out 12 volts vs. 1.1 volts? Could this cause the blown fuse when the park brake is released? Thanks.

Replies2
  1. #1Zewnten2019-03-09 16:42

    Alternators are supposed toto p out 12v for the application, I'd say it appears to be working correctly

  2. #2NW.Wisc.guy2019-04-15 22:49

    I had the same problem recently on my 05 Case 430. It turned out to be a safety stop relay for the tilt operation on the hydraulic valve that was shorting out. I disconnected the solenoid and then took it off and ground down the plunger so I could still operate the bucket tilt until I got the new solenoid. I bout a aftermarket part on eBay for a hundred bucks shipped and it is working good. The Case part costs $240 if you go that route. Good luck.