Was trying out a new grader box. Everything was working fine. Just for fun I extended the boom all the way up and rolled the box all the way forward. Right as the tilt came to the end of it's travel I heard a loud POP and lost the ability to tilt back up. I set it back down and unhooked the box. Now if you hold the stick to tilt in you can see the tilt cylinder hoses jump just a little and the engine load down slightly, but it's definitely not going over the relief. If you hold the stick in you can force the tilt cylinders in by pushing up against something, but when you let off the stick they creep out and wont retract again without help. Everything else, including tilting out, still works fine. I'm flummoxed. I pulled the load check for the tilt circuit and it looked normal. I can still feel just as much travel and resistance in the control as before, it just acts like the the fluid is flowing around with virtually no load when you try to tilt inward. Any advice is appreciated.
This on the front of the tractor on loader arms?
Have you checked solenoid valves?
Well, I found the problem. I suspected something might be wrong with the cylinders themselves so I took a pin out of the one on the left-hand side, started the machine up, and the rod fell right out of the cylinder with a big gush of oil. It's hard to see but in the last pic the nut that holds the piston on is sitting in the bottom of the cylinder. The good news is that after capping off the left-hand lines the right-hand cylinder seems to work fine.
Bummer, have you priced it out? I'd look over at Surpluscrnter.com, and see if they have a cyl that meets your specs, lotsa times they do. With a machine as popular as yours, the whole cyl is likely available, at lower than Dealer $...
I was going to say......everytime I hear a pop at the end of a cylinder stroke, its usually a piston nut stripped or broke. I have pulled apart cylinders just like that to find the piston (if steel) welded to the end of the rod. NOT A PROPER FIX and they don't last long that way.
2 things I would look at. 1, Is the weight of your attachment within the limits of your machine? 2, is there excessive play in your attachment bracket to the boom? That rod looks fatigued on one side . Since the other side supported all of it all of the sudden . I would inspect the other to be safe
I replaced a tilt cylinder on a 440. Even from CASE the cylinder was not that expensive $600 at the time, it was if I recall correctly, it was a long time ago.