Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thoughts on 2012 Case TV380

farmn · 2025-02-18 12:06

There's one for sale an hour and a half away. I think 2012 was tier 3 but not sure. Does this have a DPF? Are there any major issues with these? Thanks!

Replies30
  1. #1Simon C2025-02-18 14:13

    I have a client that has a 2017 TV380 and have worked on it many times. The wiring is not built as good as other models. They use tiny relays, and plug in pins. Engine is jammed in very tight, super hard to work on, dealers may know how to work on their systems, not too many on this sight with as much knowledge as you will find here for John deere, Cat or Kubota. These units can do work, problem is when it is broken down. I would buy if working good , with samples of planetaries, hydraulics and engine along with maintenance records. Have to get it for cheap. How many hours? Simon C

  2. #292U 34062025-02-18 14:20

    Quite a few issues with engine harness wiring chaffing and rubbing within the loom. Have seen it on 3 or 4 machines in the last year. Rest of the machine seems to be pretty decent for the most part.

  3. #3farmn2025-02-18 15:21

    ~3k hours. For sale at a dealer so not what I would call cheap. Great point about expertise. This forum has been great! Do you happen to know what the emissions were in 2012?

  4. #4Simon C2025-02-18 16:00

    No idea if only DPF or nothing, not sure. Don't buy without checking off oil samples as salesman are not in love with you, only your wallet is what I was told. Most of these machines do not make it to 6000 hours. So at 3000 you are more than 1/2 done. Do you think last half will have less problems than first half. Not likely. Most likely the opposite. Could be great for who knows, then look out. tracks, rollers, idlers, motors, harnesses, you name it you need to be prepared for or your just dreaming. Your money, your choice. Simon C

  5. #5farmn2025-02-18 18:16

    Just using it around the farm it'll take a long time to hit 6000 hours. That said, i need a machine I can use when I need it. I have enough projects.

  6. #6Simon C2025-02-18 18:23

    It may suit you fine, depends if you plan to use every day. Would you have a backup other machine. How many hours to use each day. Park in warm place with cat to kill mice. Too many wires for mice to chew, just saying beware a lot of small wires on this unit. If not too soft conditions rubber tired is much cheaper to own. About $10-15 per hour less. Just saying if floatation is not an issue. Simon C

  7. #7farmn2025-02-18 18:43

    I'm hearing stay away and look at other options. I have a Takeuchi dealer and a Kubota dealer within a few miles. Maybe go talk with them. Thanks!

  8. #8Simon C2025-02-18 18:49

    They have a saying " Buy Once, Cry Once". If you pay too little and breaks down all the time, it hurts. Some have gone to payments on newer if they have steady income. We all have different circumstances. Hope you find something good. Pay if you have to , to get samples taken. What ever it costs will be less than some big surprise. Simon C

  9. #9HarleyHappy2025-02-19 08:56

    Unless there is an immediate need, patience is the key here. You are doing a great job by coming here and asking questions. This is a place to learn, I didn’t know about the wiring issues on those myself and how tight they are to work on. Won‘t learn anything, without asking questions. Good luck on your search.

  10. #10farmn2025-02-19 09:19

    Thanks!. One more question: My machines sit between uses and don't accumulate many hours. The cost may not seem justified but I'm 65 and I work alone. Without machinery, I can't keep the place going. I am leery of the new emissions equipment and have been trying to avoid it. I have a pre-emission backhoe and a new 4 ton mini excavator that's below the emissions requirement (24hp). I'm thinking this strategy might not work for skid steers. Can a 15+ year old tracked machine be reliable? Should I just accept tier 4 and buy a newer machine?

  11. #11Simon C2025-02-19 10:13

    Depends how much you like problems. New with warranty from a dealer that can service, from some other owners perspective, not the salesmans perspective. These new machines need to be run long enough to get up to full temperature with no idling allowed. Not use to that idea and not ready to change then don't go there. If you can accept the new rules, then newer is okay. Payments or breakdowns is close to the same price sometimes, if you have to rent something while waiting. If your not super sharp on schematics, don't think you will figure out the first derate cause on these new units. Made for only dealer techs to fix. No different than cars now. Not 1970 anymore. New machines that sit have a lot of wires for the mice to eat. The batteries will discharge also unless there is some kind of disconnect or a battery tender. One way or the other. Plugged in before using to get engine up to temperature sooner, not plugging up the emissions filters. Lots to think about. Simon C

  12. #12farmn2025-02-19 10:46

    Lots to think about for sure. I think new equipment may be like new diesel trucks more than new cars. Cars are more complex for sure but they are repairable and far more reliable than 1970. New trucks seem to come with the same set of "rules". I'd be willing to go new because of the extended waranties but that only works if you can afford new. My budget will go decent used. The way things have gone up I just can't stretch into a new one. That kind of leaves me with late model used and unwarranted emissions or old used with a whole different set of issues. I go back and forth 50 times a day.

  13. #13Simon C2025-02-19 10:52

    When you find a machine you are inteested in before you spend money, post pictures, hours and maintenance records or none and someone with more expeerience may point out something that needs to be checked.. There is lots of guys here with more expperience than others on certain machines. No one knows it all. Just what I would do. Find something in your budget and start inquiries. Simon C

  14. #14farmn2025-02-19 10:58

    That's what I'll do - thanks!

  15. #1592U 34062025-02-19 15:21

    Only thing I could see being an issue with warranty on something you don't use often is it'll probably be off warranty by the time its been worked long enough for problems to show up.

  16. #16HarleyHappy2025-02-20 08:42

    If it’s not being used for making money, an older pre-emission unit that YOU are able to work on, is key. Now to find one that’s not beat to crap, that’s within your price range and meets your needs. Easy Peasy.

  17. #17farmn2025-02-20 10:33

    This was my thought with the thread. Unfortunately no good feedback on the Case TV380. Any other suggestions for year, make, model etc?

  18. #18Simon C2025-02-20 12:51

    Just a question, is it too soft for rubber tired wheeled machines where you are. You can put tracks on them if only needed for short part of year. Just asking. Way less expensive to own, way easier to fix in most situations. Simon C

  19. #19farmn2025-02-20 14:08

    I've never owned a skid steer before so I don't know what a wheeled machine can do. This will be 100% off road and need to access fence lines, creeks etc. I'm not 100% but I am concerned that wheels won't get it done.

  20. #20KSSS2025-02-20 14:26

    2012 was the first year of the Alpha series. I had a 2012 TR320. There were some issues with the eh that was fixed under warranty. As well as some other issues wiring harness was one (I personally never had the issue but others have). They got better as they aged. I put 2K hours on my 2012 TR320 and it was decent machine. The machine makes like 90hp and is no SCR so that is a bonus. I have bought about 8 other CASE machines since the TR320. We like them. Good power, comfortable to run, and the operators like them.

  21. #21farmn2025-02-20 14:37

    So is the 2012 totally non-emission or does it have a DPF?

  22. #22Simon C2025-02-20 14:59

    There are tracks available, but you have to put on and take off. You may be better off with tracks. Never forget that most machines never make it to 6000HRS. First half up to 3000 always cost less than 2nd half, and without the headaches. Just something to be mindfull of. Simon C

  23. #23DM&RDBulldog2025-02-20 15:41

    To my knowledge 2008-2011 was the rollout of offroad tier 4 emissions so by 2012 everyone had to meet tier 4 final. Most engine manufacturers used a DPF in conjunction with other systems to meet the standard. If you truly want a non emissions machine you'll have to go back to the late 90s. The only recent machines that im aware of for skid steer 75hp and under that dont use DPF are Bobcat and JCB. I believe it was 2015 when Bobcat started producing their own engines up to 75hp that used a catalyst instead of DPF. JCB uses Kohler and also makes their own engines that use a catalyst instead of DPF. No regeneration to worry about with just the catalyst. They still have EGR, crankcase venting into intake, and SCR/DEF if you go above 75hp but lot less issues with those emissions systems than DPF and regen. By all means you can get away with a DPF unit but you end up using more fuel trying to keep it hot and happy.

  24. #24KSSS2025-02-20 19:16

    CASE didn't put T4F in their skid steers until like 2016. The had T4i 2015-2014. I think these are correct. The 2012 did not have DPF or SCR.

  25. #25DM&RDBulldog2025-02-21 09:46

    Thats good info. Made me look up the case engines this morning 2012-current. Looks like the skid FPT engines have never been equipped with DPF even to this day.

  26. #26KSSS2025-02-21 10:04

    That is the upside to FPT engines. They only used DPF during the Tier 4 interim period, once Tier 4 final came they stopped using DPF's. Not many can say that. On the 75 horse and under they don't use DPF's either only DOC.

  27. #27farmn2025-02-21 10:32

    KSSS, Where did you look this up? I've spent hours trying to figure out which brand/machine had which equipment. I haven't been able find it.

  28. #2892U 34062025-02-21 12:09

    FPT have it figured out. Even their larger engines don't use EGR or a DPF.

  29. #29KSSS2025-02-21 19:22

    Just off my memory of buying machines in those years. 2014 I bought a SV300 tier 4 I had DPF, but was a great machine, zero issues with anything really ran to 2K hours. 2016 bought TR340 CTL that was SCR and traded in TR320.

  30. #30addisonjerry792025-02-22 04:41

    Yes i see this