Found a old 450 (no B, C etc) which the guy says everything worked when he last used it, and from appearances that was some time ago. Says the engine block is cracked and want's 2500 obo. Just wonder if it's worth fixing? Have not gone to see it and only one pic doesn't show much. If I bought it, would only fix up a resale
If the undercarriage is good, and it overall isnt beat it might be worth it. An engine is going to run 2-3k. Check the transmission oil and make sure its clean, and if the track frames are straight. Also check to see if the sprocket is wearing on one side much more, that is a telltale sign the finals are going quick, or has the wrong sprocket sometimes. If your just going to resale I would price out and find an engine before you get it. Also check to see if the lift cylinder bushings at the swivel are good, when I went to sell my worn out one 2 guys didnt want it just from that fact. I was only selling it for 4k, it was abused very well.
Appreciate the comments, will see what I can find.
i would offer scrap price only, and go from there.if the under carriage is good maybe a little more.
That is a good idea, don't know if the guy will take it. Figure it weights about 12K, and scrap is $70 a ton these days = $420 Need to find some time and go take a ride and have a look
I thought around here that scrap was around .10 a lb... that would make it about 1200.00
Guess it depends on where you live, here the best I can find is 70 a ton, use to be as you say 200
What year you think this one is? With the external arms maybe the 60's
Hey there, working on one just like it, 1968 model , ser.#3038663. That one looks to be 70's model, see if you can get the serial #. Owner is a little to proud of the dozer wanting 2500 $ for it, as the other guys said an engine will cost 2 to 3000, keep us informed,, DW More pictures,,,,,
Scrap is 10 bucks a ton were im at, if they even take it. From the looks of that picture I wouldn't go above 1500$. To much risk in hard to find parts being lost with the stage if disassembly it is in. Or you could part it out and make some quick easy money that way, less hassle than getting it running. Appears to be a 70s model like said above.
if they wont take scrap price i would go running fast and far