I have a 450 that the track chains are loose.. It appears from reading in the manual that I could turn the pins and bushings and probably get some more life out of it. Is this a practical thing to do. I can't believe it would be cost effective to put in shop to do? Is there someone in the midwest who could do this. I do most repairs myself but don't think I have the right tools to tackle this job. Should I just buy new aftermarket chain? What's your opinion?
I am assuming they are at the end of the adjusters? If they are that wore out I would just get new chains. You need a track press to do the pin and bushing turn. the labor would be to high I think. I put new chains on a JD 650h this summer. $4600 with new pad bolts, I reused the pads. Did the work myself.
I'd price the rails if I were you. I use a company called HE Parts all the time and have had great luck with them. You don't see guys having pins and bushings turned much anymore.
Machines that small almost never get a turn, it's not cost effective. The 650 size can go either way.
If the sprockets are still in resonable condition then get a link removed. It may cost you 3-400 bucks but you may get a 1000hrs more work. I figure if you are going to run somthing to distruction then distroy it. Can't see the cents in replacing half wore out parts
I have a JD450C loader and got a price of $2000 for parts and labor to turn pins and bushings. My sprockets are in good shape and I just removed a link from the rail. Dealer told me $300+ for him to remove a link. I did it myself in a couple of hours. When you get all the life you can out of your undercarriage then it is time to replace.
I have a 450 and replaced my undercarriage (minus bottom rollers) a couple years ago, here's a quote from Iron King. I did find it a few hundred cheaper from a local guy. I would recommend just getting a new chain, with these little dozers its just not cost effective to have the pins turned. I would also highly recommend getting new sprocket and idler, at the absolute minimum a new sprocket. Otherwise it will eat your new chain right up.
Is there ever a need to replace a sprocket {only** especially if the teeth are getting pretty "pointy" or is the idea if one touches it then do the chains with the sprocket....
Always get a new sprocket with a new set of rails. Sprockets are cheap. My case 450b cost me 2100$ to do one side of the undercarriage, new rollers, idler, sprocket, chain, bolts. I welded the new grousers to the pads myself, grouser material was like 200$ if I recall. Also had to straighten the track frame, that required the most time, took 30 hours to get it perfect and everything shimmed and lined up correctly, threads chased, broken roller bolts pulled and such.