Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 hydraulic seals

Lawless ยท 2014-12-02 19:01

Anybody know where I can get a hydraulic lift seal kit for a case 450 dozer? I can find them for the tilt and angle cylinders but not for the lift cylinders. I've contacted caseparts.com with no luck and reliableaftermarketparts.com with no luck. In fact, I'm kinda dissapointed with both of those outfits as it seems if it's not a big order then they don't wanna help. Regardless, my serial number is 2825xxx and the shaft size is 1 1/4 if that helps any. If ANYBODY can point me into a dirrection then I'd really appriciate it!

Replies13
  1. #1jross0362014-12-02 21:18

    Factory book shows 7 different rams. If you can i.d. by your gland nut number. Might be able to help. If you take them apart see what type of wiper they have. I'll try and send a picture out of the book, or do you have an online site to look them up. Anyone? My book also breaks the rams down according to your blade width. 95.5" and 87.8". That will narrow it down a little,.

  2. #2jross0362014-12-02 21:35

    cyl. diagrams See if this helps.

  3. #3Lawless2014-12-02 23:03

    Jross036, thanks for the help and images. I measured my blade and at the bottom it's just short of 88 inches. Funny thing is running the part number for a 87.8 blade (34344) and it shows for a much later dozer. After serial number 306xxxx. Mine is 282xxxx. It could very well be that my blade was swapped out before my ownership. Don't know. That why this whole thing is confusing. I looked for numbers on the gland and nothing. Mind you, the cylinder isn't tore apart so there might be numbers inside. I had hoped to acquire the seals before I tore anything apart. With winter coming I want to minimize as much downtime as possible. But, if need be I can tear apart if you think it would help. In your images in post 3 I do believe my cylinder looks like number 2. I can get clear pics in the AM so we can see exactly what I got.

  4. #4Randy882014-12-03 04:49

    Do you have a hydraulic cylinder rebuild shop anywhere near you? If so those should be a pretty common seal kit for them to get you. Near me there is a shop and I just take the cylinder apart, take in the components and they usually have the seals on hand, sell me what I need and I take everything back home and put it all back together again. Do an internet search in your area and ask around some at the local repair shops, most every area has a shop that specializes in hydraulic cylinder rebuilding.

  5. #5dirthog2014-12-03 08:34

    Also try Broken Tractor.com have bought parts for mine and a neighbors several times.

  6. #6Lawless2014-12-03 12:59

    Dirthog, already ahead of you. I emailed them yesterday and am waiting for a email back. Randy88, that is great advice. It shouldn't be this hard to get seals for a fairly common dozer but Ill look around and see what I can find. There has gotta be a hydraulic repair shop close to me. A couple pics so people can see my trashed seal and how it's been leaking for sometime.

  7. #7jross0362014-12-03 13:11

    Yep, I think you should take one of them apart to see what you've got.

  8. #8Tinkerer2014-12-03 16:35

    The tractor serial number may help to narrow down your search. The online parts book is showing three different parts books depending on the serial number range. Below is a copy and paste showing the online parts books that are available. Randy's advice would be the best and fastest thing to do if have a hyd. shop nearby. Or do like jross suggested and take it apart and see what you have. (450) CASE CRAWLER TRACTOR (S/N 3038436 TO 3060306) (450) CASE CRAWLER TRACTOR (PRIOR TO S/N 3038436) (450) CASE CRAWLER TRACTOR (S/N 3060306 & AFTER)

  9. #9Lawless2014-12-03 17:03

    That's what I would have thought to. When I emailed caseparts.com I had gave them my serial number of 282xxxx. The guy emailed back saying that it should be something like 300xxxx and above. When I replied again with my serial number, I got no reply. Sent him another email and still nothing. So, it seems that either he doesn't wanna go through the research for such a small sale, doesn't know his job, or just doesn't have the info available.

  10. #10Tinkerer2014-12-03 17:34

    (450) CASE CRAWLER TRACTOR (PRIOR TO S/N 3038436) This is the one that you would want to use for your parts research. No need to email anybody just go here and type in your model number. http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::model_find

  11. #11Lawless2014-12-03 22:24

    I must have been to that website 20 times and entered the same thing. This time the layout is different. The categories was split up and it seems there are other parts that weren't listed when I looked. Still the same thing though, nothing under what it should be. The good news is that this time they show measurements of the seals used! So, a quick measure of my shaft/gland and I think I've found it! 1 1/4 x 1 3/4 is my size and the seals they show are the exact size. So, I'm pretty sure they are that right ones. Unfortunally, it doesn't let me buy online. Everytime I go to check out it kicks me to one of their dealers that is 60 miles away. Can it get any more frustrating? Regardless, I'll google the seals and see who else has them and get them coming. Thanks for all your help!

  12. #12Tinkerer2014-12-04 06:20

    Contact Dale Wiess at http://www.e-backhoeparts.com/ . His family owned a Case dealership for many years. He is no longer a dealer but he sells parts he has left- over from that dealership. He can you those seals and mail or UPS them to you. His prices are very reasonable. His knowledge of Case parts is almost unbelievable. I have purchased from him many times.

  13. #13Lawless2014-12-04 13:41

    Thanks Tinkerer. I will email him and see what he can come up with. Thanks to all that helped.