Hello to all, I just joined this forum. I have purchased a 1970 Case 450 dozer and am trying to change the transmission oil. I have no problem with both filters and draining the rear end, The manuals I have received so far have no info on this part of the procedure and seems to be missing. Anyway I have only got around 5 gallons out the the sump and it was full according to the stick. It holds eight gallons and I would think I would get at least 7 gallons or so. Do I need to drain the converter and if so what plug do I use or am I missing something else. I used the dozer for around 10 hours and it works OK but the oil is filthy. Thank You
not sure on draining the converter, however the 450 is similar to my 350. Here is the service manual for the 350 I uploaded. Maybe itll help http://www.mediafire.com/download/j5ykdkp42ve4qpm/350B_Crawler_COMPLETE.pdf If draining the differential, be sure to use GL-1 oil if you have brake steering.
That is about correct, you will not get the full 8 Gallons out! You will have some oil in the cooler, converter and in the lines from the charge pump. You cannot drain the converter either on that unit, so around 5-6 gallons is all you may get on a drain and filter change.
back when I worked at an auto shop, we disconnected the lines that went to the cooler and had a cylinder with a syringe like piston that exchanged bad oil for good oil using the vehicle's pump. thats kinda specialty, but it was the only way we could really swap almost all of the oil. Would be cool if there was something like this, but DIY for loaders/dozers
I am not sure if this is the way to answer the post so here goes. Thank you for manual, I feel better now. it is quit different as I can not get into the reservoir that easy but I may rinse it out with diesel fuel as is recommended it will help get some of the crud out I am sure. I guess to do it correctly you need a line pump option.
OK that makes sense to me I guess. I may change it out a couple of times as it is quite dirty. Thank you for the help
Thank you for the advice I may do that this winter. I think I can borrow one of these from a friend of mine. Thank you all for the advice. I am a farmer and work on most of my own equipment but have never had a dozer. I have wanted on since I was 5 years old so 63 years later here I am. Thank You
Glad I could help, dont have too much fun.
The dipstick on my Case 450 dozer is missing. It has plug. Can anyone give me the dimension of the dipstick so I can make one.
Post Serial Number
The serial number is 3057408. How can I find out what year this is?
With your S/N it should be in the mid to late 70's
How would I find the length of the transmission dipstick?