Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cutting Edge

Tones ยท 2016-09-24 19:17

I'm curious about serated cutting edge on a dozer. I have never seen them before today I looked at an auction site, (Manhiems in Hobart Aust)a D7h back from Antarctica. Any ideas?

Replies4
  1. #1RZucker2016-09-24 19:29

    I would think a serrated edge on a dozer would be good on ice, but rocks would knock big chunks off of the edge. I have worked with serrated grader and scraper blades, they have their place, but it's up to the end user to determine the best application.

  2. #2hvguy2016-09-24 20:18

    Ive seen grousers that are serrated for ice. I could see a blade the same way for the same situation.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2016-10-02 02:32

    We use serrated edges on slope boards here in CA. They cut better, especially in hard material, but dont wear as long. The serrations are wider, about 2 to 3 inches, and maybe 1 1/2" deep. I have rarely seen them used on the main blade though.

  4. #4Willie B2016-10-02 08:04

    Some grader blades have carbide inserts to replace, and control wear on the edge. A grader should never encounter ledge, or a big rock. Ice would be a different matter. I'd think it would be considered a fail on rocky soil. Maybe OK on clay. Willie