Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450B problem

bronco71 ยท 2016-09-14 15:29

I posted this in the track loader section but there are many more viewers here and this linkage is the same on the dozer so I hope I can find a solution here. Thanks in advance! I bought a Case 450B track loader with a thrown rod, replaced engine, filters, most of the hydraulic hoses and it is running great. The problem is that the high/low range shifter is broken off below the floorboard and the end of the shaft (the flat part with the hole for the shifter to bolt to) is broken off. I have a new shifter but I want to know if there is a good way the attach it to the broken shaft so I don't have to replace the shaft? This looks like a weak point and I feel like this may be a common issue?

Replies10
  1. #1JS3002016-09-14 16:04

    When I bought my dozer the two speed was froze up on that shaft. I can imagine someone just stomping it till it broke off. I bet you will have to replace the little shaft. I drilled it for a grease zerk once I got it freed up. Shifts really easy now. I was also told to never shift high / lo with machine running.

  2. #2bronco712016-09-14 16:45

    Thanks, I'll have to see what all that will involve. If it is very much I'll just leave it as is and remove floor to put it in high the few times I need to.

  3. #3catskinner 102016-09-14 16:55

    You'll probably leave it in Low more than you think. When in low the tower levers are first and third. Just right for most all work. Second and Forth (range lever in high) are just to fast. Tom

  4. #4bronco712016-09-14 17:42

    Thanks, that's probably what I will do. I've just used it to move loose dirt piles into a ditch about 50 yards away and it does ok in 2nd loaded and fourth empty but next is to dig a pond and it definately does not like to dig in 2nd. I can see where 1st and 3rd would be used at least 95% of the time. Eventually I may try to do something to the end of the shaft to attach the new shifter but it is certainly not going to be a priority now. On another note, does anyone know why the 450B dozer engine skid plate is different than the loader? The part numbers are different.....This was missing all 3 skid plates and I have found the correct rear one but not the front ones.

  5. #5sheepfoot2016-09-14 21:16

    I think it's do to the loader track frame is fixed unlike the crawler that has the equalizer beam.

  6. #6bronco712016-09-14 21:28

    Thanks, that makes sense. I'll keep looking for the correct skid plates....

  7. #7sheepfoot2016-09-14 21:31

    Vee the broken end, wash the area good, wrap a wet rag around the shaft, weld and quit, then do a little more. It would not be the first one welded back on.

  8. #8bronco712016-09-14 21:43

    Great! that is what I was hoping to hear! The flat part is broken at the hole the pin goes through so there is a bit there to work with before the round part of the shaft.

  9. #9JS3002016-09-14 21:50

    Mine was stuck in high gear so I had to fix it. We never use high gear when running dozer. Every great now and then we use high to move dozer a long distance but generally just leave it in low gear. If not working correctly doesn't bother you I would leave it alone.

  10. #10bronco712016-09-14 22:45

    Since I am rebuilding the lift cylinders on my big track loader, I think I will leave it as is for now. As a loader I do sometimes carry a load for a distance and since I don't have a dump truck I will probably attempt to fix it once my other loader is back together. The big loader stays on the farm since it needs a semi to move it but I pull the 450B with my F450 I like the idea of having high range......but it isn't that hard to lift the floor and pull the shaft into high range.....