Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450C Track Chain Master Link Washer Placement

Blueacre ยท 2020-09-04 15:44

Just bought a set of replacement track chains (rails) and sprockets for my Case 550 LT Dozer. They are the same chains and sprockets that are used on a 450C Long Track Dozer with 39 links instead of the 36 on a standard 450C but except for the number of links everything else is the same. The chains are manufactured by DCF in Korea and sold by TREK in North America. They are sealed chains with a master link pin. Each master pin has 6 washers with it and I want to be sure I install them in the correct location and order. 2 washers are about 3/16 inch thick - flat on one side and have a 45 chamfer on the other side. The inside diameter is a clearance fit on the master pin and the outside diameter fits tightly in a recessed bore on the inside of the open end of the master link. It seems clear that these 2 washer go on the inside of the open end of the link before assembling the link but i am not sure if the chamfered side of the washer should go into the link bore first facing the outside of the link or facing the inside of the link. the other 4 washers are a thin - approximately 1/32 inch - look like spring steel and they are curved. I assume they are shims that go between the open and closed end of the link but not sure if it matters which way the curve should face and if they all are installed or just enough to achieve a certain clearance. Appreciate any info form anyone who has experience installing this type of master link pin or if there is a diagram showing the installation please send me a link.

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-09-06 09:10

    Have you tried contacting Trek ?

  2. #2John C.2020-09-06 10:52

    The two thin washers are Belleville springs and they sit behind the thick washer. A set goes in each side for the master link. You install the springs in the bore with the insides touching and push the big washer in on top of them. When you force the small link into the big link, the OD of the springs will press against the bore of the link. When you force the pin into the bores, the springs will bite on the pin and seal the connection. I think I have photos of this somewhere. If I can find them, I'll post them here.

  3. #3Old Magnet2020-09-06 11:21

    Here's the Cat version....

  4. #4John C.2020-09-06 11:23

    Holding bars? Never heard of those. We only had a couple of pieces of mechanics wire and when you forced the links together it cut the wire off. Easy Peazy.

  5. #5alrman2020-09-06 17:16

    I usually just use a tacky grease to hold the washers in place. It's also a good idea to install the master pin from the inside of the chain - that way should you bruise the pin during install - you more easily drive it out, from the outside the next time you split the tracks.

  6. #6John C.2020-09-09 22:39

    I never drive them out without burning the center out. If they go in right, there is no chance of them working out on their own. I count on the end of the pin getting swelled a little.

  7. #7Vetech632020-09-10 02:56

    I use grease to hold the washers in myself. Works like a charm.