Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450C Parking Brake Lever Adjustment?

Bote · 2025-09-25 12:32

The service manual for my Case 450C says that the end of the parking brake lever can be turned for minor adjustment of the cable tension, same as on my Case 580M TLB. The lever on my 450C won’t turn. It’s off the dozer right now waiting on a cable replacement. I’ve soaked it in penetrating oil with little improvement. I’m wondering if there could have been a design change, and the lever on mine has no adjustment. Anyone have a 450C that can tighten the parking brake cable by turning the end of the lever? I’m aware that you can adjust the cable tension at the threaded end where it attaches to the clevises.

Replies9
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-09-25 15:23

    Is it a steel handle with light knurling on the top cap? If so, it is supposed to turn to adjust the tension. If you can't free it up hopefully there is enough adjustment at the clevis. Maybe it was adjusted all the way one way and that's why it won't turn? That style of E Brake was very popular on all kinds of equipment and even trucks.

  2. #2MG842025-09-25 15:56

    My '87 Case 450C (serial prefix GBE) has the adjustable parking brake handle. Turn the knob to tighten or loosen the setting. Same setup as in lots of hydraulic brake medium duty trucks.

  3. #3Bote2025-09-25 17:03

    Yep Welder Dave, that's the one. If it's meant to turn, I can eventually break it free. Just wanted to make sure it was designed like the others I've seen and was supposed to turn. Looks like it's set up for a pin wrench so maybe I'll try that.

  4. #4materthegreater2025-09-25 21:21

    Like this?

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-09-26 04:03

    My 95 GMC Topkick has that kind of e-brake.

  6. #6Bote2025-09-26 10:43

    Just like that. The old girl's gainfully employed on my farm right now, but when I bring her in for winter service, I'm going to rework the brakes. I assume the brake is like others in that it has to be fully raised to the vertical position to "lock". I'm replacing the cable, which hasn't stretched any and the lever won't raise fully to lock. I need to loosen it, but this thing is stuck. If I can't, there's a heavy equipment salvage yard in Wolf Creek, IL about two hours from here and I'm sure they have one that functions. These are great little dozers. I'm still grieving over a machine I should have bought two months ago. It was a 450C with wet brakes and the third brake pedal with 2600 hours for $12900. One owner and barn kept. It was two hours away and my equipment trailer was tied up. I would have had to make a four hour round trip to buy it and a second four-hour trip to pick it up later. I'll never have an opportunity to buy one that nice.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2025-09-26 11:05

    You can buy a brand new brake lever off of Amazon for peanuts.

  8. #8HarleyHappy2025-09-26 11:08

    Amazon.com: Dorman 924-5617 Parking Brake Handle Compatible with Select Chevrolet/Workhorse Models : Automotive Buy Dorman 924-5617 Parking Brake Handle Compatible with Select Chevrolet/Workhorse Models: Parking Brake Levers - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases www.amazon.com https://bunkerhillcables.com/parking-brake-lever-over-center-1-cable-clamp-style-cable-flange-mount-base-64-00006/?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAC9YXlVwaXyreLbzXTcUgGHVk4pCW

  9. #9Bote2025-09-26 12:34

    Bless you! I have one on order. I searched everywhere under Case 450C but didn't find anything.