I have two issues that may be related on my diesel 480B. 1st, it won't shut down with the key...I have to choke it. I thought it was the ignition switch, but I replaced and ruled it out. 2nd (related), even when shut down it is draining the battery. If it was just draining the battery, I'd check the alternator, but I can't help but think there must be a relay or something somewhere that's stuck. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not new to mechanics, but I am new to the world of backhoes and diesels. So far, things look pretty straight forward...just don't assume I know something....I probably don't. Thanks, Scott
I'm no diesel expert, but what kind of choke you talking about??? If the "choke" is a cable/rod that goes to the injection pump then that is the shutoff. Have you pulled the ground cable off the battery to see if the battery holds a charge without any drain from the machine?
probably means he is stalling it down
Yeah, I'd say you need a bit of instruction! The ignition switch does not shut the engine down on a B. It only kills the instrument cluster. The "choke' you pulled to shut the engine down is in actuality a "fuel shutoff" cable. If you had used it to try to start the engine it would not have started till the control was pushed in. I would recommend you to get an owners manual BEFORE doing any operating or servicing. The diesel engines take specific lubes and you will be lost at fuel filter change time without information. Maybe you could find a local contractor to give you some guidance. I would check the alternator for draw with the engine shut off, if it is still equipped with the Prestolite alternator the isolation diode can fail and cause a battery discharge, Mel.
Just to be sure it is a diesel ? they had the 148G gas engines and the 188d diesel engine. Most had like said a stop cable that ran to the roosa-master injection pump that was pushed in to start and pulled out to stop the engine from the dash, is there a cable going to the stop lever on the pump. I also have seen several that were changed to a elect shut off, does your injection pump have a single wire going to the top cover of the pump, and with the key switch off does it have current on that term at the pump or is there no current if set up with the elect shutoff.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to get to everything here. First, I do know for sure it's a diesel. I haven't worked with backhoes but I do have background with diesel engines in general. I've been working with a contractor friend of mine and I can operate it just fine now (I'm not fast with anything, but I've gotten a number of projects completed). I also know all the lube and oiling requirements for this model. It is about 45 minutes from the house here, so I try not to drag him out too often and I also want to be sure I have my ducks in a row (or at least as many of them as I can) before I go out. I suspect the alternator is the issue. I'll check it next time I'm up there. That's easy enough to diagnose and change out if necessary. Sheepfoot...it is a mechanical shutoff. What you said does make sense now...the cable goes from the dash to the injector pump. It's not electric. The shop and owner's manuals are on the way, but probably won't be here until later this week. Every vehicle or piece of equipment I own has all the documentation I can lay hands on. I do most of my own repairs on the car and my other tractor and I'm more than a bit anal about having documentation. Thanks for all the help!
Cieboss Glad you clarified that, you said it was a diesel in your first post and I took it that you knew and I responded by the info you gave. I assumed that it had a mechanical shutoff since you mentioned having to choke it down and a electric shutoff system generally has no cable Mel