Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 480E loader backhoe

Bob H. ยท 2013-11-12 13:28

Had to replace the injector pump, the engine was on TDC when I installed new pump. The keyway on the injector as at the top at install. My question is now the engine turns over but is pumping out white smoke (raw fuel) did I miss something? As far as I can tell everything is in time, is it possible the parts shop sent me the wrong injector pump? They said there were 2 depending on the tag on the old pump. Any suggestions you guys may have would be great. Bob H.

Replies8
  1. #1alrman2013-11-12 15:58

    Welcome to HEF Bob H! It does sound like you have a timing problem. It could be the pump itself is not timed correctly. With the timing pin engaged at TDC, remove the small plate on the side of the injector pump. The letter G should be lined up with the edge of the circlip - if all is good.

  2. #2Bob H.2013-11-13 05:52

    Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the info. I ask because heavy equipment like this is not part of my daily work, and better ask folks who will know than to keep doing things wrong and cause a major problem. If I find the marks to be off what is the best way to correct it?

  3. #3alrman2013-11-13 15:34

    If you have the engine pinned at TDC, & the timing marks in the pump cannot be aligned by rotating the pump at the mounting, you will need to give your pump supplier a call. The pump timing has to be done correctly on the bench, using special tooling. Note - the correct position for the injector pump is nearly always in the middle of the adjustment slots. If it is not in the middle something is very wrong.......

  4. #4Bob H.2013-11-14 11:01

    Thanks for the info, and I found that the pump gear was not in time, it was out by 2 teeth once I got it in time the marks inside the pump lined up and the loader runs like new, I still have room to adjust the pump timing one way or the other but right now it runs fine so will not mess with that. Thanks again for all the help.

  5. #5alrman2013-11-14 15:13

    OK, that's good news about getting it running. Just curious, did you have the complete timing cover off to install the new pump? There is a selection of letters on the pump timing gear for different applications, did you take note of which one was lined up to allow it to run?

  6. #6Bob H.2013-11-14 20:44

    To answer your question I did end up taking the front cover off to find out what was going on, and that was when I found out the gear was out of time I apparently didn't have the engine on TDC when I first installed the pump. Once I got the cover off and got everything lined up right things worked fine. The letters on the gear that I can recall were an F and and A there was a letter between but can't recall. To get things to work I aligned the A with the cam gear mark, that is when the G inside the pump was almost dead on. Wish I had taken a picture of the markings so I could pas on the info I found.

  7. #7alrman2013-11-14 21:06

    Good to hear Bob. The letter 'A' is the correct mark to use for a naturally aspirated 4-390. Connecting the 'G' in the pump has confirmed that the pump has been supplied correctly.

  8. #8Bob H.2013-11-16 16:23

    Thanks again, and have to say I had read your post to another person on here who was doing the same thing but on a different model case but the basic idea is the same. But when I ran into that little problem I figured it would be smart to log into this sight and get first hand advice.