Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 480F brakes

hammertime · 2018-08-07 14:20

Have a new job at a ranch nearby and the owner is trading me some tack to look at the skip loader they have. Left brake operates normal. Right brake pedal has hardly any travel and no braking. Figured I need to inspect master cylinders for anything blocking its movement. I am having a hard time getting the dash off. I feel really dumb. The washer (13 in pic) on the sleeve of the shuttle lever will not let me remove the console. Does the sleeve just slide into the lever? I cannot figure out how to separate this.

Replies9
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2018-08-09 19:06

    Remove clamp 14 and push pin 15 out so the lever will come out.

  2. #2franklin22018-08-09 19:55

    I have a case 480C, and if yours is like mine, you really need to take the floorboard out to work on the brakes. And that is no easy job. Once that is out you can really see what is going on. My adjusters and the parking brake mechanism were all locked up, but after a lot of penetrating oil and working everything back and forth it all loosened up. If you started on the floorboard end, you could take the line off the brake cylinder and see if your pedal moved then and pumped fluid out of the line you loosened.

  3. #3hammertime2018-08-10 15:58

    Yep I got those off. The sleeve #16 on the drawing is what seems to not want to come off. Time and whatever has stuck the lever and the sleeve together. I’m guessing some heat might help loosen her up?

  4. #4hammertime2018-08-10 16:05

    That sounds exactly what I will need to do. Thanks for the heads up. I have been reading about it being a bear to pull the floor. That gives me hope I might be able to clean it up and have it working again.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2018-08-12 15:57

    The levers on the brake housing could be froze up and need to be taken apart and the pivot pin cleaned up, try spraying some penetrating oil on pins first though. You really don't have to take floor panel off you can get to everything from underneath, best to take brake housing off and put them on work bench to work on levers.

  6. #6hammertime2018-08-12 17:09

    That would be nice not to pull the floor off. I was looking underneath today, seeing what I can get to. I have a service manual for a 480c. Some noticeable differences between it and the F series.

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2018-08-14 07:17

    Yeah just a bit of difference. And BTW be sure and use hydraulic oil in master cylinders NOT brake fluid.

  8. #8franklin22018-08-17 10:11

    The misery of pulling the floor or the misery of laying on your back and having all that dirt/grim and penetrating oil dripping in your face. I don't know what would be worse. I have been running mine with the floor out. Glad I didn't put it back in since i have had the brake housings off twice on both sides, and 3 times on one side. I think I am going to split the floor in two pieces with tabs and bolts before I put it back in.

  9. #9hammertime2018-08-17 11:06

    So I ended up throwing in the towel. Not really worth the agrevation since it is someone else’s machine, and I cannot justify getting that deep for horse tack. Mobile mechanic stopped by and found that the piston actuator down by the brake housing was stuck and not working. Probably what was mentioned before about oiling up the components. You guys who have these machines. I have appreciation for you working in that cab. That is a tight squeeze. I appreciate the legroom and space in my 570. I think they are going to rebuild that actuator. I will look at parts diagram to find the name.