Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 485 Head gasket

mhobson · 2025-05-13 06:42

Hello, I bought my 1985 tractor about 15 years ago, and shortly after the head gasket went, and I found that the oil control rings were shot at the same time. The cylinders were pristine as were the big end bearings, I don't think it has run many hours. I think the oil rings were worn because the previous owner had removed both air filters. I replaced the rings and refitted the head with new gaskets but it has gone again. When I changed the rings I forgot to deglaze the bores, it smokes like a freight train on start up and low revs but when working at medium or high revs it does not smoke. I am old and forgetful and have forgotten what the torque settings for the head bolts should be. I never had the head skimmed but I would have thought a heavy solid cast iron head would be unlikely to warp, is that right? It will be a big problem for me to remove the sump and pistons, I have just had major back surgery, is there any chance I could deglaze the bores with the pistons installed but at bottom position, I have looked at some deglazing tools and it looks possible, obviously cleaning the cylinders after would be important. Thanks, Michael

Replies3
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-05-13 07:13

    You could but more than likely you’re going to have to replace rings again. I would wait until you have the physical ability to pull the engine and put it on a stand and do it halfway right. That way if it needs anything else, you can do it then. I had major back surgery in 2020 and am looking at getting it all redone as I have a loose screw and now damage above my T12 L2 hardware and cage. Don’t overdo it while healing or you will end up with a failed surgery. Good luck on the recovery.

  2. #2mhobson2025-05-13 08:35

    My Dad always used to say I have a screw loose, maybe he knew something. I have not done a great deal of work with the tractor, I only have about 12 acres and I don't farm it, it just a beautiful private park with trees, fields and ponds with a wandering stream. I mow the grass maybe twice a year, rotavate a small veg patch and use the tractor to split firewood. I fitted new air filters and I think that there might be a chance that the oil control rings should be good. The engine oil gets changed and still looks quite clean. But maybe I have done too much already only 2 months after the surgery. I also had back surgery in 2020, but different, still in the lumbar region. I have to see the surgeon on Friday and I think he may get mad at me, I will have to see. But things just need doing.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2025-05-13 08:56

    Well, glad I’m not the only one that does stupid stuff, like riding an HD with a back brace on 7 days after a laminectamy and rods, screws and a cage. Now looking at getting it all re-done and going 2 to 3 levels up. This ain’t no lumbar stuff, this is almost between your shoulder blades. I’m dumb, you can be dummer. lol Just take it easy. Please.