Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 5 stick Q’s

basspro ยท 2010-11-02 00:33

Ok folks looks like I may be getting (for free) an old Case 5 stick backhoe. It is apart though, I think it is late 60's? Can any1 tell me what each lever does and maybe what model they were. It is a few hours drive away, so I'l like to do a little research before I get there. Any onfo ya'll got on these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies13
  1. #1heavylift2010-11-02 02:29

    well I this is only a guess but it's probably a foot swing model... 3 of the sticks control the boom... dipper.. and bucket... the other two are for each stabilizer... the should be a pedal on the floor on each side of the column ... that's 2 pedals as for which lever is which ... I don't remember.... It's been about 20 years since I ran one... they still use the pattern...

  2. #2RonG2010-11-02 04:35

    1 to 5 L to R. Left stabilizer,bucket curl,stick,boom and right stabilizer.Ron G

  3. #3alrman2010-11-02 04:51

    Aren't they called '3 sticks' - stabilizer levers don't count :tong The 5 stick thread title threw me ! :drinkup

  4. #4motrack2010-11-02 08:41

    THe "5 stick" made me scratch my head also. Here they are known as 3 stick machines.

  5. #5DirtHauler2010-11-02 08:54

    the swing is done with foot pedals?

  6. #6heavylift2010-11-02 13:40

    yes you swing with the foot pedals.. left .. to the left.... then to swing back push the right pedal

  7. #7heavylift2010-11-02 13:46

    iron planet photo

  8. #8RonG2010-11-02 15:15

    Some of them have another stick to the right of the quadrant which controls the boom lock.Ron G

  9. #9heavylift2010-11-02 15:49

    the boom lock in this photo is the handle above the 4th stick

  10. #10Phil2010-11-05 07:47

    I came across a very rare 580CK with extendahoe. Note the controls, the bent lever on the left is moved up or down to change the function of the left stabilizer so it controls the extendahoe. Note how Case made that stabilizer lever a little longer. Technically this has '5 sticks'. Phil

  11. #11Puffie402010-11-08 21:31

    Our 580B has a model 35 extendahoe, and the configuration is: L stabilizer - Bucket - Dipper - Boom - Extendahoe - R Stabilizer that would make it a "4 stick" machine... Or "Six-Stick"...

  12. #12digger242j2010-11-08 22:17

    I've never seen that one before. That's my "something new" to learn for today... :thumbsup

  13. #13RonG2010-11-09 05:17

    I ran a 580 with the extendahoe and that is the configuration that it had.We also had a nice John Deere 410 with the extendahoe and it was controlled by a foot pedal on the floor like it should be.The extendahoe on the 580 really changed the balance of that machine,not necessarily detrimental to it but if you are used to a regular 580 you would notice it.I pulled that 580 apart twice to get all the leaks repaired inside of the boom.Ron G