Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 550G Fuel Problem??

dirtdobber1 ยท 2012-11-25 07:32

Hello all, I would like advice from the experts on a fuel problem (I think). I have a Case 550G long track machine. Hour meter shows less than 500 hours, but I'm not sure it's accurate. When operating the machine, it runs fine for a little while and then the engine will loose power. RPM's will drop and absolutely no smoke. The first time this happened I changed the fuel filters, drained the fuel tank thinking it was nasty, and made sure the supply line was open between the tank and the pump (not the injection pump, the other one). Tank was clean and line was open. I ran the machine again yesterday and had the same problem. I was in the woods when it started acting up, and by the time I walked it out it would barely run strong enough to move the machine. I shut it down and removed the side panel and fired it back up, and I couldn't reproduce the problem under a no load situation (not enough fuel demand I supose). Turbo is free, as I can hear it spinning down when the engine is shut off. One other clue - I did notice that just when it starts to act up, the engine starts missing. Perhaps that is just the lack of fuel?? I ran it with the fuel cap loose to rule out a venting problem, which I though was the problem given the amount of time it took to act up. Thoughts anyone? Thank you in advance.

Replies2
  1. #1Wick2012-11-25 07:57

    Not sure about this model but definately sounds like a fuel issue, check the fuel supply lines to the lift pump there should be a gauze strainer in the banjo bolt on the supply side.

  2. #2dirtdobber12012-12-30 20:21

    Wick, Finally got back out to the machine today. Found the strainer inside the lift pump and it was stopped up. Thanks for the advise.