Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 backhoe identification

MasterSplinter ยท 2011-04-05 20:42

Howdy... I bought my 580b ck without the backhoe, and bought a different hoe from an older CK tractor that wasnt running. The hoe works fine, but I need to repack either the boom or dipper cylinder pretty soon, as its leaking a gallon an hour when warm and heavily used. The problem I have is that I know the backhoe came off an older machine. Can anyone identify this hoe by the style or a picture of the serial number? I need to order the right cylinder kit, but don't want to order the wrong one 5 times like I did for the swing cylinders. Still haven't got the right ones for that either but they aren't leaking as bad. I drew a white arrow to where it's leaking pretty bad. Thanks!

Replies13
  1. #1Bala2011-04-05 22:45

    I have no idea? for my 580e i have to order kits using the number stamped into the gland nut, ordering from the parts manual does not work, You can get most seals from a hydraulics supplier, if you only need to replace the rod seals you can do that instead of getting a whole kit. If your far from a shop you can measure and order seals.

  2. #2MasterSplinter2011-04-05 23:18

    Oh ok, I just figured there might be a way to match the serial number to a model.... and then order the right seals for each cylinder. I'm not that good at measuring, that's why I'm diggin holes and not building houses! Would it be best to bring the gland/nut into a shop and have them order it? I'm sure that would be an arm and a leg vs ordering a kit.... as the locals have already been price gouging for other stuff around here.

  3. #3Bala2011-04-05 23:47

    Im in Australia but for comparison, the last case kit I ordered, probably over 12 months ago was about $100 and I had to wait a week, last week I blew digging ram seal, I pulled it out measured and rang a local shop, in stock $15, the piston seals and wiper were fine, I only needed a rod seal, going a few hours later. Take the gland nut in and they will measure and should be able to supply for you, as you said for the swings you have tried 5 times and still no good!

  4. #4Bala2011-04-06 00:01

    Generally, Case may be different, but usually Serial Nos are stamped into the unit or on a tag that is attached to the unit. When the Number is cast in that is usually just a casting number and does not help with model ID.

  5. #5Viacheslav2011-04-06 03:57

    Good day. Please, help me find number of paint (PAL) for CASE Poclaine 1188LC.

  6. #6MasterSplinter2011-04-10 20:06

    Not sure what you are lookin for there buddy, good luck! Still no luck identifying the model of backhoe I have.

  7. #7Tinkerer2011-04-11 08:14

    I located this on the Case Parts online website. Is this it ??

  8. #8Tinkerer2011-04-11 08:21

    If the serial numbers are still on the machine her is where they should be.

  9. #9MasterSplinter2011-09-21 22:31

    That doesn't look like it... in that drawing, there is a hyd cylinder on the side of the boom, when both of mine are on the top of it. I still haven't found out what model hoe I have, and its leaking pretty bad!... I bet it would be expensive to bring in the entire cylinder for a rebuild.

  10. #10Bala2011-09-22 07:48

    You will use more in $ of oil and down time than you will paying to have it fixed, it wont get any better thats for sure. The seals perish and fall apart and can send bits through the system, then you will be in real trouble The only real option you have is to take it off put it apart and get seals from a seal supplier.

  11. #11Tinkerer2011-09-22 13:40

    Clean the top of the cylinder gland real well. There may be a part number stamped into it. Can you post a photo of the right hand side of the backhoe assembly ? Do you have any idea as to what model the backhoe came off of ?

  12. #12dwloop2011-09-22 17:32

    From what I see in the first pics, sure looks like a 33 off of a 580CK to me... :my2c HTH Dave

  13. #13Tinkerer2011-09-22 21:00

    I also think MasterSplinter has a model #33 backhoe. It has both the boom and dipper cylinders on the top of the boom. The second picture I posted is a model #35 backhoe. It clearly shows the two boom cylinders mounted on the side of the boom.