Guys, need some help. My 580B is 2 1/2hrs from home and I am looking at a frost point online to assist with my stump removal work. I need the pin dimensions for the backhoe bucket. I believe they were the same for the orginal 580CK all the way through the K series, but not sure. Can someone be so kind as to measure the pin sizes and spacing and post back? I would hate to pay shipping on this thing and have it not fit!! :Banghead Thanks in advance for your help!! Dave
If you can help me understand the anatomy of the machine (I'm a 'tard...not familiar with the measurements or where i should take them, but would be happy to measure my "C"
The two pins that hold the hoe bucket on. What diameter are they, and is the center to center distance between them. I think they 14" center to center, with the front pin being 1 1/2" in diameter. I can't remember if the back pin is the same or smaller. Thanks!! Dave
Well, in case anyone else has this question, the front pin is 1 3/4" and the back is 1 1/2". The spacing varys by bucket... Thats what the Case dealer stated. I will find out Friday when my ripper point arrives. Dave
be sure and post how well the ripper point works on the stumps. Are they pine stumps? I'm having an awful time trying to breakl the roots up close to the pine stump.
Check this out, this is a DR towable hoe with a ripper. The stumps look small though... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5eWOEQTzh0&feature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kANAEuCd5vc Dave
A "DR towable" digging a stump bigger than the whole machine. wow The engine sounds like a 10HP Gas Briggs & Stratton I wonder if this is what Harbor Freight sells
It was a machine that DR Power used to sell, but has since discontinued. I cannot find much information about it. I know it is a Briggs type engine and hydraulic pump like they used on their log splitters. I found the video to be quite impressive for what it is. Like I tell my friends about my old 'B', it would be so much better than a pick and shovel!! One point though, the guy may have paid half as much for that new as a older backhoe, as I think DR is quite proud of their equipment. Dave
TheOldMan, it works very well!! Better after I made a set of test 'teeth' to cut the larger roots. The only thing I had in the shop was some 1" X 1/4" strap, but it worked well. I will find some heavier AR or Hardox to make some a little more durable. The holes are much smaller than using a bucket, if I had used my 24" bucket the holes for a 24" oak or hickory stump would the size of a small pickup truck by time I can get out far enough to break the roots free. With the point and being able to cut the roots closer the wholes were the size of a small kitchen table. And with the point I can remove the dirt from the stumps much better, and then split them to burn. Some pics, since everyone likes pics... Even me.. Dave
Dang! I now know my next toy!! The teeth are a great idea too -
Hello, I'm new here this will be my 1st post (if I do it right). Just wondering dwloop how did you cut hte teeth?
Dave - that looks just like a crack ......:beatsme
I know it does... It is a piece of bale wire that the previous owner used to tie the dipper hoses in place. I just haven't got to that yet. For some reason when he replaced the hoses, he did not put them back through the original welded holders. He wired them to the outside... Dave
With a 4" grinder and cutting wheel.... Dave
Dave-thanks for the reply. That's a great idea!
dwloop how mutch for the ripper i was looking at one up here for around 400.oo tks trevor b
Trevor, I paid about the same for this one and then had it shipped from Chicago. It did not fit due to the front pin bosses being 1-1/2" instead of 1-3/4", so I went to my country machine shop. We mounted it up in a horizontal mill and made it fit... A company on ebay is making them specifically for this... $1200. Couldn't justify that!!... Dave
Do you guys know if a bucket from a 580 super L will fit a 580 C. Its about 60 miles away and the seller only knows it fit his 580 L. kurly
Do you guys know if a bucket from a 580 super L will fit a 580 C. Its about 60 miles away and the seller only knows it fit his 580 L. Hoe bucket that is, not loader bucket. kurly
Kurly, not sure about the L, but I feel it will. The original 580 all the way through the K used the same, 1 3/4" front pin, 1 1/2" shorter rear pin. Have him take a caliper and measure the pin bosses to be sure. HTH, Dave
Well, corrected the wire holding the bucket hoses today... Working on a white oak stump about 4 1/2' accross, by far the largest one I have to dig. Made about two pulls on the roots and blew the dipper-in hose, giving me and everything around a nice oil bath. So while I was in there I replaced those hoses and put them back in the holder. The made hoses have less gap between the nut and flange, so that was why the PO just put them outside the holders. They were only .005 - .008 off so I ground the holder flange so the flares would tighten. I was in a hurry, no pics... So I guess it didn't happen. Dave
Got the big one out!!! I know you big guys prolly get tired of hearing about the farmer type backhoe stories... The biggest stump I had to remove I started on two weekends ago and blew the dipper hose first thing... Well, I worked on that darn thing all day on Friday and finally got it to budge around 5:00pm. It was all the 580 would do to tip it out of the hole with the loader and all the dirt on it, tough on these old machines to put them to the limit like this. It is out and all the rest of the them are smaller. I figure this is the largest one I could handle, and maybe too much!! Once the dirt was raked out of it I could push it around. The old hoe was on the relief most of the day. BTW: It was actually a red oak, not white... Digging about mid-day: Out and dirt raked out... Put my old Jeep behind it for relative size. Dave
Wow...that's a beastie of a stump. That thing sure does a great job of raking the dirt out of them!
Reviving this thread as i have a similiar question which is.....currently my 24" wide bucket on my backhoe has pins that are 14" apart (centre to centre) and there is a 12" wide ditching bucket i'd like to buy but the pins are 14.5" inches apart. Will this work on my 580k case backhoe or do they need to match exactly? i understand it may reduce my range of motion.... THx