Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 C no main line pressure?

Earljr3rd · 2024-10-17 12:23

History: Received unit in cooler weather and used it for a while. If I recall once temps rose it would only go in one direction, I can't recall what direction it was at this point that was or wasn't working. At one point of testing I drove in circles for a while until the unit was warmed up. Then I would switch to drive in the direction that wasn't working. By maxing rpms the unit would slowly begin to pick up speed and then would go. At that time I decided to just go ahead and pull the shuttle and rebuild it. When I put the unit back in after I rebuilt it I had neither forward nor reverse. I installed a 600 psi test gauge in test port 1 and 2 location just above the value and regulator assembly. I shifted from neutral to forward to back multiple times, ensured the unit had fluid, started at 3 quarts per manual and added one quart at a time up to a total of six quarts, and I felt the oil pan to ensure it was warm which it was. The unit never built up any pressure. Really can only be the torque converter, the pump, or the value/regulating body correct? Is there something else i'm not thinking of? At this moment I have the valve regulator assembly out and on the bench inspecting it. I've pulled the unit twice now and each time it doesn't appear i've damaged the tabs on the torque converter that engage the pump. I do need to further inspect the pump however my thoughts were it was working before tear down so the issue is probably in something I messed with. I don't mind buying a rebuilt unit, and I feel its getting close to that point. Just hate giving up, first rebuild i've done like this, however I have alot of experience in various lines of work. Would be the first time I recall that i've failed to the point of completely giving up. I have a month or two to tinker with it and brain storm so i'm making my last effort. Looking for any advice. I suspect it was a rookie mistake some where in the rebuild process. Thanks in advance Earl

Replies2
  1. #1Earljr3rd2024-10-17 19:54

    Well, my brain wouldn’t settle so I brainstormed off and on for a couple hours after this post and bounced between what could be the problem, buying a new unit, what a failure I was, then I focused again and found the issue. The regulator valve in the control body was stuck open preventing it from building pressure. It was the one part I didn’t open and inspect. The kit just had o rings to put on the control body which I did but I didn’t open it beyond that. Unstuck the regulator, slapped it back together and drove it across the yard. True test of the rebuild will be in time but at least it moved….

  2. #2Welder Dave2024-10-19 00:27

    Gotta like when it's something simple. Sucks when it's hard to find what is wrong.