Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Important : Hourly fuel consumption estimation

alonzo · 2013-03-13 03:45

Hi all! How are you doing? I recently posted a thread in which I was trying to estimate the fuel consumption of an earth moving engine. I managed to find from a specialist, the Hourly Fuel consumption of a machine according to the operating conditions. For each operating conditions (Low-medium-High), there is a range of Min-Max values. Every time that I fill the tank I fill it at ITS MAXIMUM (even if the tank is not empty, so I exactly know the quantity of fuel injected) and I also know the daily working hours of my engine AND the operating conditions. This is My Question : Is it correct to divide the quantity of fuel injected each time or (everyday) by the amount of working hour (since the last refuelling) in order to estimate personally the Hourly Fuel consumption (and compare it to the data from the specialist)? Thanks a lot for your attention

Replies12
  1. #1Steve Frazier2013-03-13 10:33

    alonzo, please use the default font when posting. Thank you.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2013-03-13 10:46

    If you start with a full tank and run the machine "x" number of hours, then refill the machine measuring the fuel put in, you will determine the amount of fuel (y) used during that time period. Fuel quantity divided by time (y/x) will give you fuel consumed per hour.

  3. #3alonzo2013-03-13 11:25

    All right M. Frazier, sorry for the font, and thanks a lot for your reply. Alonzo

  4. #4alonzo2013-11-17 04:02

    Hi all ! I have a range of fuel consumption values specified in a caterpillar handbook performance for a set of machine. Is it possible to find the same information on cat.sis, under the document structure (with the S/N and the arrangement)? Thanks a lot!

  5. #5Nige2013-11-17 07:57

    Sorry, no. The Performance Handbook is your only source of this information. The reason being that there are so many alternatives and attachments available to include every one would be impossible. That's why the PH tries to cover ranges of performance with a "broad brush" approach and let individuals fine tune their data based on actual site experience. As Steve says above X/Y is your fuel consumption per hour. Obviously the longer the time you run your machine and do the calculation (weekly for example) the more accurate your number will be. However, and it's a big however, if the machine moves to another job site or even to completely different working conditions on the same job site your hourly fuel consumption will more than likely change, and perhaps change quite significantly. This is useful information for contractors because they need to price bids according to the amount of fuel a machine will use to do a certain kind of work.

  6. #6oceanobob2013-11-17 14:16

    I had a job where I had to do loader ops (only) for many days and backhoe ops (only) for many days....I kept track of the fuel consumption and it was a big difference from one operating condition to the other.

  7. #7alonzo2013-11-18 02:31

    Hi! There is no doubt as you both wrote it, that the consumption varies from one site to another one or on the same site when the operating conditions change. I have noticed it on a set of data. Based on them one can applies several forecasting techniques (but that’s another story). I think the information I am looking for (compartments capacity, or fuel consumption) may not be available on a customer version of CATS.I.S or web S.I.S. I will be back after investigation.

  8. #8Nige2013-11-18 06:16

    I can tell you now that the information you are looking for is not even available on the version of Cat SIS-web available to dealers, let alone customers.

  9. #9alonzo2013-11-21 01:44

    Hi! , Alright, thank you for this information.

  10. #10alonzo2023-05-09 08:17

    Hi dear All! I trust you are well. I am heading back with this old thread. I am looking for the hourly consumption of fuel some model of cat engine and machine but couldn't find them in the performance handbook (maybe the version of the PHBK is too recent and old machines have been removed). Can anyone please provide me the range of fuel consumption (l/h), if available, as specified in the performance handbook, in low, medium, and High load of these equipment: Machine Model Engine Low Medium High Dozer D10T-RJG ACERT C27 Dump Truck 777D-FKR 3508 B 773F-EED C27 Wheel Loader 992G-AZX 3508 992 C32B Driller CAT C13 Driller CAT C15 Driller CAT C7 Regards

  11. #11Nige2023-05-09 10:31

    G'Day, Here are the numbers in litres/h:- D10T - Low 42-60, Medium 61-80, High 81-98. 777D - 36-53, 54-74, 75-96. 773F - 28-43, 44-57, 58-71. 992G - 58-74, 75-101, 102-125. Regarding industrial engines in the drills there are no consumption figures published. Fuel consumption tends to be on the high side because of the constant load of the compressor and the hydraulics. If you have any specific engine Serial Numbers then please supply them. I can work some fuel consumption estimates from that information.

  12. #12alonzo2023-11-26 04:41

    Godd day Niger, Thanks a lot for your reply. I totally agree with you the values of the hourly consmption for drills depends of the load of the compressor and the hydraulics.