Hi all. Several months back I purchased a 580 CK (circa 1967) Loader/Backhoe for a construction project on my property. After sitting, and virtually abandoned, in a field for several years it needed the rams resealed along with long overdue maintenance. It is now ready for work and has already trenched footings for a new garage. I am asking for assistance on a few items that remain outstanding: 1) Seat belt – The current seat belt appears to be aftermarket and attaches to the axle housing. It is adjusted to work in the ‘driving’ position. It is too short for the seat in ‘backhoe’ mode. I suspect in a rollover I would be spit out of the seat belt; there is just too much room for movement of the belt. Does the stock seat belt attach to the axle housing? If not, where? 2) While driving up slight inclines the front wheels seem to barley stay in contact with the ground. Am I just freaked out from having an ill fitting seat belt and this is just the nature of the beast? 3) With one exception all backhoe pins and bushings remain tight. The one loose bushing is the boom pivot bushing that resides in the main mounting frame. I think the part number for the bushing is D23601. How difficult is it to replace? How should the boom be positioned during replacement? 4) The backhoe is a model 33. I cannot find any type of locking mechanism on the boom to prevent it from dropping or swinging during travel. Currently I use a chain to prevent swing. Is there a lock? Thanks for considering my request.
The early 580 CK having seat belts originally mounted to roll bar mount. (Axle?) I think you have the correct set? The front is light, especially if the front counter weight is missing. I'm not sure they even had a weight. I know the B series did, but I think yours is earlier than that. Machines of that time period did not have a lot of Safety equip. You could put a small amount of dirt or? in the front bucket, if you like To carry around until you get more comfortable. Tom
Oh Yes, As far as a Boom lock there was none until the B series. Yours used a chain from each outrigger to the main boom on each side. Held both outrigger and boom.
Thanks Tom, I will keep some weight in the bucket until I get used to the bobbing while traveling. The seat belt is attached to the differential inspection plate. Probably not much different than to the ROPS. Thanks for the clarification on the outrigger chain. They are present. I did not realize their dual purpose.
You shouldn't need the seat belt for running the backhoe as the stabilizers and front bucket are down. Keep the backhoe pulled up tight and chained when not being used to keep the center of gravity as far forward as possible. There is an easier fix for that bottom bushing that involves welding new bushings on the outside of each side of the swing tower rather than replacing the existing. The new pin is longer to accommodate. I did mine 30 years ago and has worked great. There's a pic of it on here somewhere.
Thanks Grady. I will look for the pic.
I'd post another but I'm not near the machine right now. I don't remember where I got my parts but I'd guess the Case dealer because there was no internet in those days. Google it. Something like this: https://www.brokentractor.com/p/cas...cNCh0VuQAqEAQYBCABEgLV2_D_BwE&_vsrefdom=p.719