Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 G Backhoe water pump fan issue

Paul murphy · 2021-02-14 07:57

Hi, can anyone enlighten me as to how the fan and pulley is fixed on to the water pump on a Case 580 G Backhoe please? The fan and pulley seem to have come off the shaft and destroyed the honeycombing in the radiator. On close investigation and removal, We assumed a bolt holding the fan on the pump shaft would be the issue but now it's off, there is no bolt hole in the end of the pump shaft, nor is there a keyway or any visible means of fixing. I have only been brought the damaged parts and a few pictures as I am helping the young guy who bought it from me but the only conclusion I can come to is the pulley/fan is held on either by a taper or an interference fit at the factory. Any thoughts or guidance would be gratefully received and save me thrashing about in the dark for several hours. Many thanks in advance. Paul.

Replies16
  1. #1Midnightmoon2021-02-14 08:09

    What's the serial# should be like this

  2. #2Paul murphy2021-02-14 08:31

    Hi Midnight, Can't get serial number at the moment as the machine is not here, but will try. Thanks for the response, the whole fan and pulley assembly has come off shaft "A" . No indication of how it is fixed? Last time I saw a fan that bad it was on a German fighter that came down in France.

  3. #3Midnightmoon2021-02-14 09:03

    Replace water pump 1-6 comes with pump that includes pulley. Bad design in my opinion. Water pump fails and takes out radiator. Keeping a close eye on water pump and coolant level is important. Water pump will start leaking before it takes out radiator though

  4. #4mks2021-02-14 09:19

    What bent the not dainty fan blades that bad? Can’t imagine the radiator did that.

  5. #5Midnightmoon2021-02-14 09:57

    By the scratches on the blades it looks like it got bent prying it off

  6. #6mks2021-02-14 10:22

    “Last time I saw a fan that bad it was on a German fighter that came down in France” I’m thinking fod. Foreign object damage.

  7. #7Paul murphy2021-02-14 10:29

    As far as I know, the machine was working and a noise was heard, then steam and water everywhere. On stopping the machine, the fan was just implanted in the radiator and the whole thing was loose and off the shaft. I may have to get my desk light out and interrogate my granddaughters boyfriend some more!

  8. #8Paul murphy2021-02-14 10:35

    If you look closely on the first picture I posted the boss coming out of the pump is not in the centre of the pulley, offset to one side. I wondered what anyone thinks about drilling a hole right through the shaft and putting a bolt through so it can't happen again? Am I also correct that putting a new fan belt on is quite a job too, (may as well while it's in bits.) does the pump at the front have to come off?

  9. #9Delmer2021-02-14 11:56

    The pump should be able to be moved forward enough, or just move the coupler enough to get the fan belt slipped in to place. I agree, that hit something from outside the machine in order to bend like that while staying on the shaft. It doesn't matter much at this point, as it's not yours or your responsibility, tell them to get new parts and put it together right. I wouldn't trust the fan, hub, or water pump at this point. The radiator could be soldered if it's in decent shape, but even then I wouldn't trust any of the other parts.

  10. #10Tinkerer2021-02-14 12:21

    If the pump doesn't come with a pre-existing hole for a bolt in the shaft, drilling it for one will weaken it.

  11. #11Billrog2021-02-14 15:50

    My guess is a good size stick came up from under the machine to do that

  12. #12alrman2021-02-14 20:27

    If you google the pump part number K207178 you will come up with various suppliers of the pump including the pulley. I would think CNH would no longer supply the complete pump & the only source of parts would be aftermarket. Most times the quality of aftermarket is really not desired - but it maybe your only choice. As for the radiator..... I think your local radiator repair shop will need to recore it - that is, if they still do that old school type of thing......

  13. #13Paul murphy2021-02-15 20:41

    Thank you all for your help. Finally, does anyone know the belt number or length as we will change out the belt as the other was in shreds? Thanks again.

  14. #14edgephoto2021-02-15 23:48

    Looks like the pulley is press fit to the shaft. Maybe someone rebuilt it at some point?

  15. #15Tinkerer2021-02-16 09:34

    Part #20.

  16. #16joe--h2021-02-17 11:57

    Water pump pulley is pressed on from new. Just like your Chevy. Or Ford. Joe H