Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 420 what does this light mean

justsomedude ยท 2021-02-14 14:38

Hi there. I've searched all over the internet and looked through my manuals and the closest i've found to the symbol has to do with air filters but it is a different symbol and i cant find it anywhere. anyone have an idea what this is? Machines is a 2010 Cat 420Eit

Replies9
  1. #1BigWrench552021-02-14 15:04

    Air filter restricted.

  2. #2justsomedude2021-02-14 15:20

    Thanks for that. I was thinking that horizontal bar with the things on the end meant maybe something with an axel or final drive or something.

  3. #3kshansen2021-02-14 15:43

    Just a suggestion. If you are asking help on a Cat machine giving the full S/N will help get a better response. Not really important for something basic like this but anything other than this it is a big help for you and those replying.

  4. #4Nige2021-02-14 15:57

    It might be also be a good time to suggest you ought to get hold of an Operation & Maintenance Manual. As well as answers to stuff like the above there is a wealth of info in it that would make it a good investment, especially if you do all you own maintenance. They are not expeinsive to buy new, around $50. A Serial Number would be required to identify the correct manual for your machine.

  5. #5justsomedude2021-02-14 19:45

    Agreed about the serial number. I'll keep in mind to post that in future questions i run into.

  6. #6justsomedude2021-02-14 19:48

    Hi there. There is an operators manual in the cab and my operator had a look through and didn't find this one. I have a pdf copy of a maintance manual for a 420 but it just shows how to take things apart for service intervals. It was published in 2009 so maybe its the wrong one for my machine. serial # DAN00662 if that helps

  7. #7Nige2021-02-14 20:44

    The Serial Number is a great help. I just looked up the Operation & Maintenance Manual for your particular machine online. it is Cat reference SEBU8697. Do you have that reference anywhere on the front cover of the manual.? It should be in the top RH corner. If you don't maybe you have something generic that isn't exactly as much use to you as it could be. The section on the Monitor System (attached) in SEBU8697 covers two types. It appears that the Monitor panel on your machine is a "Type 1". A genuine OEM Manual can be downloaded fronm Cat for $49 in pdf format. A CD is the same price and a paper version is $57. Obviously the CD & paper versions have S&H charges on top of the posted price. I can put up a "how to" guide if you want.

  8. #8justsomedude2021-02-26 20:21

    Hi Nige Thanks for that info. I will have to ask the operator to have a look at the book and see if it has that number on it. I suspect its either the wrong number or a generic manual. We definitely have the type 1 setup. I may just have to grab myself a copy of the exact manual for this machine so i can stop bugging people on here for answers i should already have access too lol

  9. #9Nige2021-02-26 21:44

    If you get to a point where you need a procedure for downloading a manual just ask