Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 L Back Hoe 4×4 forward reverse problem NEED HELP PLEASE

Deejay · 2012-11-05 09:30

I have a 1999 Case 580 L Back Hoe 4x4 Backhoe. The problem I have is that neither forward or reverse work on it. It does work when you engage the button on the loader level to engage both rear wheels but only the left wheel moves. The two front tires since it is 4x4 do engage when putting the machine in that mode; however, when pressing on brakes the wheels still spin "Front wheels" when 4x4 is engaged? It seems to me it has to do with some wireing but what do I know something is deffinatly wrong and I have no idea on how to even start to approach this problem before calling out a technician. Any and all help is appreciated.

Replies24
  1. #1bill onthehill2012-11-05 17:10

    Sounds like you may have snapped the right axle. OUCH! I don't think applying the brakes would keep the front wheels from driving. It does not on my 580K but it uses a totally different drive from yours.

  2. #2Deejay2012-11-05 19:45

    Yea its kinda of funny how the front tires still turn when the 4x4 is engaged and you push on the brake pedel. It would seem to be a safety issue. Which leads me to believe it can be some kind of mechanical/electrical problem? It is just kinda odd how it quit working cold turkey? Ill keep trouble shooting and asking questions hopefully get me to where I need to get to. :-/

  3. #3Goose2012-11-05 19:46

    Yes it sound like you broke a drive axle. Raise the rear of the machine and see if the wheel has any wobble from the bearings being loose. Usually what breaks the axle shaft is loss of bearing preload allowing the final drive to run at an angle to the axle housing and the shaft doesnt bend very well.

  4. #4Deejay2012-11-05 20:59

    Rear wheel turns but does not wobble?

  5. #5Goose2012-11-05 21:24

    I should have said with the back raised high enough that the tires are off the ground push on the top and bottom of the rear wheels and see if there is any rocking in and out or up and down

  6. #6Deejay2012-11-05 21:31

    I will try that tommorow but if I remember corectly it didnt do that try it anyway to make sure. Appreciate the help. If it isnt this what else could it be? I saw a couple of strings of people saying a stuck or snap ring on the Transmission control valve? Does that make any sense?

  7. #7Goose2012-11-05 23:26

    With a broken axle in two wheel drive the machine will not move as all the power is going to the broken axle, point of least resistance. When you engage the diff lock youre locking the power to both axles so the side with a good axle tries to pull. With the front axle engaged the front axle is pulling whole machine but the tires are slipping because of the the weight you are trying to pull with just the front axle. With all four tires off of the ground in 4 wheel drive and the difflock engaged both front tires will turn and the tire on the good side will turn but the axle with the broken shaft will not turn.

  8. #8Deejay2012-11-06 00:29

    When I did raise the machine so that all tires are up in the air the only time the rear wheel would engage was when I pushed the diff lock traction on the loader handle. Let me try this tommorow see what happens thanks for the help. I will update tommorow

  9. #9JeremiahSr2012-11-08 18:52

    That tells you Goose was correct. When engaging the diff lock you were no longer losing the power in the broke drive axle. That should be a good indication that your ring gear/pinion and differential/spyder assembly is working. Thats good news.

  10. #10Deejay2012-11-08 23:06

    I havnt had time to go out to where my backhoe is at lately. So the symtoms point to a broken axle then?

  11. #11PeetD2020-07-29 15:14

    Similar question… I have a 2000 580 super L everything works great in 2 Wheel Dr. when I engage four-wheel-drive the front tire spin the opposite direction at the rear tires do.. so they spin against each other. When I disengage everything is fine in 2 Wheel Dr. ??? Thoughts

  12. #12alrman2020-07-29 16:34

    Has either axle (front or rear) or the transmission been "repaired" lately?

  13. #13PeetD2020-07-29 17:26

    Not to my knowledge… I Heard from someone that there is a clip in the actuator area that comes loose or falls off and that causes it to over rotate when applied causing it to spend the opposite direction but I don’t know if that is the correct information… We have it lifted up in the air by the bucket and the outriggers and everything seems to move fine it’s just in the wrong direction.

  14. #14melben2020-07-29 17:30

    That's a classic! I wonder same as alr if someone has worked on the front axle and installed the ring on the wrong side of the pinion, I know that Case did that on forklift tractors to reverse driving direction for forklift operation, I do not see how that could happen in the transaxle, will be interested how this turns out! As far as the snap ring failure deal that just causes the shuttle to stop moving or be very sluggish. that has nothing to do with the operation of the 4 wheel drive as far as supplying rotation forward or reverse, the front drive is spring applied and hydraulic released, you can hear and feel it engage on engine shutdown, it is a simple dog type clutch and has no forward or reverse determining gearing. All the gear selection is done electronically, there is no linkage to travel to far, sounds like whoever is advising you knows very little about that transmission/reverser!

  15. #15PeetD2020-07-29 17:32

    I don’t know I’ve never seen it before the machine has under 5000 hours on it and the sides a few small hydraulic leaks here in there that we are wrapping up there are no other issues with it except for that. Mine boggling I do have all the manual so I have to sit and go through it

  16. #16doghead2020-07-29 17:48

    Perhaps a planetary drive has failed . Couldn’t that explain the reverse direction?

  17. #17PeetD2020-07-29 19:15

    Could be we may have to tear into it here shortly and see what’s going on I can’t put a finger on it yet but I bought the machine with this issue and was told it was An easy fix as a clip but I’m not sure that that is the issue I was told that if that clip comes off that machine either only goes in forwarder only goes in reverse (that’s the actuator and the clip on top of transmission.)

  18. #18kith2020-07-30 08:53

    With inboard brakes you can put it in 2 wheel drive and step on the brake pedals one at a time. When you step on one and machine moves the opposite side is messed up. Axle is broke or planetary is trashed.

  19. #19kith2020-07-30 20:13

    Someone has had the front axle apart and put it together wrong. The drive for the front axle is gear driven in the transmission.

  20. #20PeetD2020-07-30 23:25

    Thank you for all the great information I believe what you’re saying is true… I also talk to a veteran mechanic at the Case dealership and he thought the same thing. I’ll let you know how it turns out

  21. #21kith2020-08-02 19:21

    For what it's worth I retired from a Case dealer in 2017.

  22. #22Tinkerer2020-08-02 21:51

    Thanks for the info. I have read most all of your posts. I figured you may have been in a dealership. Enjoy tour retirement. Time moves much too fast for us retiree's.

  23. #23doghead2020-10-01 18:51

    Any update?

  24. #24Luckystars2023-09-18 16:11

    I have a 580L series 2 that is doing the exact same thing after a ring gear and pinion shaft replacement. They were replaced because the splines on the pinion and the drive shaft were worn out. The machine was used on a farm and in the mud a lot. The transmission/transfer case lower output seals were leaking also and were changed. The transmission is the manual 4 speed, Carraro. When the rear seal was removed, I removed about half of a chewed up cir clip from behind the seal. Was that the clip that is known to fail? Is it something that should be dealt with? Could this be my issue? The ring gear was on the drivers side of the machine when I took it out. Could I have put the carrier in so that the gear fits on the passenger side and still get the pinion depth and backlash adjusted? One last thing to check before I pull this back down. When the machine is in 4x4 and lifted up off the ground, should the driveshafts be turning the same direction or opposite directions. I feel stupid but it never occurred to me that a diff carrier could go in 2 ways. I have never seen one in trucks or cars that was so symmetrical it could go either way. Thank you for any help or suggestions AND for helping to close a thread.