Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580 se cold start in Arizona

Pantano ยท 2016-08-03 22:32

I have the use of a case 580 super e con king loader/backhoe. Very little works on the instrument panel. To start the tractor I was instructed to first turn on the key then hold down the black rubber covered button for 10-15 seconds and at the end of the time interval turn the engine over. If it fails to start do it again. ninety percent of the time it fires right up. On a couple occasions I have forgot to depress the button before cranking the engine over but it fires right up. what gives? Do I need to continue the black rubber covered button ritual. I don't want to bugger up the tractor. Any educational instruction for this greenhorn? Thanks Pantano.

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2016-08-03 23:01

    That black button is probably a grid heater for the intake air. It helps it start easier, and run smoother at first. As long as it starts right away, you're not hurting anything by forgetting to use the intake heater. Just how cold are your cold starts in AZ in August? Automatic preheaters usually don't come on over 50 degrees or somewhere around there.

  2. #2sheepfoot2016-08-03 23:02

    If you are pressing the button on the lower left side of the dash it is the either start system. You really should not need to do that unless the outside temp is real cold. The way it works is it injects a measured amount of either into the engine each time the button is pushed and released. You can actuate this system only when the engine is cold and when the key is in the start position. Most places should remove the either cylinder when the air temp is over 40 for the spring/summer/fall seasons. More than likely if the cylinder is under the hood, it's empty if they haven't replaced it.