Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 SE steering

D21S-5 · 2021-11-27 12:33

Bought a case 580 super e 4x4 to do some clean up. Fixing some leaks and am wanting to know more abut the steering. When loading the backhoe for transport, the steering range was very limited. I know it was low on fluid from the leaks. Both steering cylinders are getting repacked. The maximum length of the cylinders seems to be an inch less than the total travel distance of the steering. I saw that there is a difference between 2x4 and 4x4 cylinders, but have not found any specs as to closed length and stroke. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2021-11-28 22:59

    Have you checked your stops on the axle?

  2. #2D21S-52021-11-29 08:53

    Yes, the stops are not being reached.

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2021-11-30 15:31

    You may have to contact your Case dealer and talk to the parts manager. He can do a search through Case tech and find the correct length of the rods. It sounds like the cylinders may have been changed out with 2wd ones. I'm not sure which would have the longer stroke. Someone else on here may have more info than I do.

  4. #4D21S-52021-11-30 15:48

    I was thinking that too. I did find specs on the 2wd cylinder and the closed measurement is shorter than what I have. Theses were leaking and I have seal kits coming. If that doesn’t work out, I am going to replace them. Thanks

  5. #5alrman2021-11-30 16:42

    I don't have the assembled cylinder lengths, but for what it is worth here are the two rods side by side (with one of those metric measuring thingymagigs)

  6. #6D21S-52021-11-30 17:17

    Mine are apart so I will check that. Thanks much.