I have a 78’ Case 580c yesterday it shut off after letting it idle for about 6-8 minutes. Then when I went to drive it off it lost RPMs and shut down. I assumed a fuel issue so this morning went out and checked to see if I was getting fuel before the fuel pump and after the fuel pump. Cleaned the fittings and then started it up. It worked great for a while. Left it idling while I went to start up the small tractor and it had shut off. Cranked it back up and it didn’t same thing. I was still thinking fuel delivery issue because that’s what it felt like. I waited two hours went back out and it was running good for about 30 minutes. Then I started to notice forward was getting slower. RPMs were going down. When I dropped the bucket Rpms went down more, couldn’t get them to go back up with the throttle lever. Went to put the stabilizers down and it bogged out and died. Now I’m not sure if it’s an actual fuel issue or something else. Please help. THANK YOU!
Either tank not venting or crap in your fuel tank restricting the fuel.
u might try back blowing the line to the tank.. take the cap off first, u don’t wanna blow up the fuel tank..
Is that just blowing air from the compressor? If so what line would you recommend? Would I blow it out from the line after the pump or before?
Before the pump..
When it dies, take the fuel cap off straight away. It it’s holding a vacuum, the breather is blocked.
Not getting any fuel through this bleed valve after back blowing. Any suggestions.
It’s a gravity fed system.. it’ll take a while.. Probably by the time u read this, fuel will be all over the ground .. lol Did u take the cap off.?? Is that as new filter.?? IF NOT, go get 1..
It is a new filter. Changed them today. Cap is off now.
If ur close to an air compressor, wad a rag or 2 around a blow gun and give it a slow air feed. (Pressurize the tank) If there IS a blockage, u don’t wanna blow up your fuel tank.!! When was the last time you opened up the drain petcock on your tank.?? If yours is like everyone else’s, ur gonna have to get a coat hanger to break thru the mud.. lol
I was typing this at the same time Mike was typing ! How much fuel is in the tank ? Is the petcock (valve) on the bottom of tank open all the way ? You may have to remove it and see if fuel is getting through it. I was never a fan of blowing air into the tank from the filter and back into it. Any crap in the line will still be in the tank and come back to haunt you at a bad time. I would suggest that you remove the supply line from the primary filter. Then wrap a rag around an air line blow gun and apply no more than 5 psi into the filler neck of the fuel tank. That should blow any crap outa the tank and line permanently. Unless something is in the tank that moves around and occasionally blocks the tank outlet.
Lol.. I read your last sentence and got shivers.!! I should have started a picture thread 25 years ago with: “Things I pulled from fuel tanks”.. I lost track on how many “mechanics fingers” I bought.!! I made a gizmo (light) that hooks to the machines battery and has a LONG flexible arm with a clear trailer lightbulb on the end..(12v) That baby will lite up the inside of a fuel tank, like nobody’s business..
When you say petcock I see two. One the manual says is a fuel shut off valve and the other a water drain
Tank is full now. The petcock you are referring to is the shut off valve correct?
Ai broke the fuel line here and had fuel and also loosened this piece as far as it would go out.
U need to make sure the fuel shut off is OPEN.. But I was referring to the drain.
I’m getting fuel here. It cranks, files for about 10 seconds and then still shuts off.
There is nothing coming out of the water drain.
Remove the return line from the connectors on the top cover..NOW remove the fittings from the t cover.. U should be staring at a HOLE in the top of the pump.. Start the engine..
Ok now it’s running great with the return line removed. What does that mean?
Ok so just out of curiosity I put the fitting back on and the engine started to choke out. No fuel was going through it. Then I pulled it off and physics sprayed me in the face with diesel.
It means u haven’t done any research on your problem.!!
I spent all last night researching fuel issues with this tractor. Sorry I thought you were helping. Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully someone else will step in now. Seems like I’ve taken up too much of your time.
Oh no you didn't.
Thanks for being helpful.
Everything I found last night for the tractor eventually shutting off suggested everything that everyone on here offered except they gave more clarity. Nothing I found suggested anything about the line above the pump and taking the fitting off and what that means if it runs. If there are videos on this I am not able to watch videos at my bunkhouse because we don’t have strong enough internet. I posted for help on here yesterday while still at the main ranch house which is were I was trying to work on the tractor today. Everyone was being very helpful and then for what ever reason this problem seems to be something I’m suppose to know about.
WAG The return line or related is plugged. HeavyEquipmentForums
Thank you for your help I greatly appreciate it.
There is a search function at the top of the page.. just type 580C and see whatcha get.. I know there’s over 200 threads dealing with the same problem..
Thank you, I did not know there was a thread search on here.
I never mentioned the return line because you are not getting fuel to / thru the filters.
I appreciate all your help and everyone else’s help. I didn’t know there was a search option on here so I’m using that and there are lots of good threads I found on this topic.
Tinkerer, I was thinking about that too.. & came to the conclusion that once the return connector got plugged up, it pressure locked the incoming fuel.. Back to the basics = no fuel out means no fuel in.. TNT, lemme save u some time.. U have a clogged return connector.. that happens for 2 reasons, 1) the flex ring inside the pump has deteriorated and is breaking up, it sends small bits of plastic up and out of the pump.. those bits collect in the spring loaded return connector and eventually cutting off the fuel returning back to the tank.. if u can’t get fuel OUT, there’s no room to get fuel IN.. The pressure equalizes and shuts the engine off.. 2) there’s a bunch of rust in the pump and the flakes are doing the same thing as the bits of flex ring.. The rust comes from contaminated fuel, ie: water.. U can verify the problem by: A) pulling off the side window on the pump (2 flat head screws) & holding a wad of paper towels under the window and let the fuel drain out on the towels.. you’re looking for small black plastic pieces.. They’ll either be on the towel or in the corners of housing window.. B). Remove the top cover (3- 5/16 screws) and look in the corners of the pump for a pile of black plastic bits OR rust.. There’s no fix other than a rebuild..
Great info man thanks. I will pass along the info to the next guy on project rotation. I’ll be horseback again for a couple weeks. I will let him know about the search part of this group as well. That was very helpful. Thanks again.
I just answered your private msg.
You're lucky the pumpguy continued to help you. There is NO one more knowledgeable with injection pumps and diesel fuel delivery issues/troubleshooting. If your IP needs to be rebuilt, he's the best person to do it. Done right and saves you some money.
Return line below brass 90 on top of pump cover there is a ball valve fitting that opens to let fuel out most likely plugged up gummed up with crud. take it off spray it out with some brakekleen and blow some air through it .
My reply had nothing to do with how much research you did, it was regarding the pissy answer that you gave to the one guy that could help you the most. But apparently that's been resolved. Carry on.
Lol… it’s all good.. I just had a real sh!ty day and it reflected in my response..
Nothing wrong with your response. I imagine you know these IP's and fuel systems so well it sometimes gets frustrating when people can't understand what are the most simple things to you.