Hey guys n gals. I am getting ready to change the hydraulic oil in my 1995 580 SK, and I was wondering if there was a proper procedure to follow while doing this. Basically I plan on getting a bunch of Case Hy trans oil (maybe the JD equivalent) and changing the filters underneath, search for the drain plugs (after riding the machine around for abit) draining the oil, and then filling it back up. Is there a way or a drain for the torque converter, or anything else I should know about? Any hints or tricks a guy should know about?
We have a 580K series 1 (1989 year). The fluid has been checked usually every year via oil analysis and shows no need for replacement, although incidental losses due to hose breaks, weeps, and some recurrent ram seal work has been our method to get some new lube in there. Due to compatibility and trying to help out with the oil lab's trend program, I run the same oil every time which is the OEM stuff. PS Those 5 gal pails are all right in the shop, but for the work truck I carry only 2.5 gal size as those tuck in spouts on the 5's have developed cracks and allowed contamination to enter the container so no more 5's for the jobsite. Once you have the drain plug loose ready to unthread, hold on to it and have several pails ready to go because if I remember correctly, there is about 25 gallons. As to if the lid should be left on the tank, I say yes at least initially as I recall it slowed the initial drain flow. We have a seperate shuttle for fwd reverse - not sure if we can help out on this one.
Thanks for the reply. Some of you guys out there must have some tried tested and true methods, lets hear em!
changing hydraulic fluid on a CASE 580 SK Construction King Hello, was just wondering what kind of success you had with your hydraulic oil change ! I also own a 1993 Case as mentioned in the title. DId you use the (Hy-Tran Ultra) when you made the change ?