engine stopped today, started back up for a few seconds then shut off again. Has fuel in tank, checked & cleaned sediment bowl, drained fuel filter (been replaced in last 10 hours). Tried to prime pump and bleed lines but no fuel getting to sediment bowl. Removed fuel line at lift pump and blew out line back into tank. Reconnected line and again tried to prime it with no luck. Anyone had similar problem? Suggestions? My next try is to replace fuel lines? Can this fuel pump be rebuilt or does it have to be replaced? Thanks for any help~
The lift pump for the 555E that I'm seeing in the parts catalog has a screen inside of it. I've seen those screens clogged on plenty of engines interupting fuel flow.
replace the rubber fuel line it is collapsing had the same problem on one of mine, a real pia happened right after a full servicing. easy fix
Thanks for the advice and diagram! Will try this next!
OK. Cleaned the screen in the lift pump. (which was clogged) I believe I have a fuel fungus that is stopping up the flow. Reinstalled screen but still cant prime it. Is there a screen in the fuel tank that may be clogged and restricting the flow? Thanks...
Does the fuel tank have a shutoff valve ? If it does open and close it a couple of times. Then unhook the fuel line from the lift pump. Open the valve and see how much or if any fuel is coming out of the tank. I am guessing there is something in the tank restricting or even blocking the fuel from passing through the tank outlet. Many times at work I would wrap a rag around a air hose valve and hold it over the the fuel filler opening and gently apply about 2 to 5 PSI of air pressure to the fuel tank. It is amazing what gets into fuel tanks. Rags in the tank were the culprit many times.
I doubt there's a screen on the fuel tank pick up tube because it looks like there's no way to access the pickup tube looking at the parts pages. You for sure want to check the rubber supply line that sends fuel from tank to lift pump as Pecord Exc suggested. It appears the lift pump is the first thing the fuel goes to after it leaves the tank. If you had a bunch of garbage in the screen of the lift pump, you might consider taking the plug out of the bottom of the fuel tank and see what amount of water and dregs are in the bottom of the tank. It's possible some of the debris that fouled the screen in the pump has fouled one of the valve diaphrams in the lift pump causing it to not work. That looks like the type of lift pump that you can take apart and clean/inspect the components. Keep in mind though, it's always possible that you would damage a gasket or something when taking it apart and render it unusable. Keep working at it and let us know how your making out. BTW is that a 3/8" supply hose going from tank to lift pump?
Its a 5/16" supply hose. I got another supply hose today and connected it to the fuel pump and put the other end into a can containing fuel. Pumped several times on pump primer and still no fuel to the sediment bowl.(which is the next thing past the pump.) So my guess now is the pump. The pump has inscribed "BCO" with numbers "2695 7f" on it. If the pump is not too expensive, I may be better off replacing it rather than tearing it apart as I'm not experienced at this. It does not have a shutoff valve on the fuel tank. Bought a bottle of Bio Con fuel treatment for the fungus and a couple extra filters. Tried to remove the drain plug on the bottom but it wouldn't budge. Didn't have a cheater pipe to put on the end of it. Afraid I'd break something.
Probably not a bad idea to replace your lift pump if it isn't terribly expensive. Those things don't last forever anyway. Can't get the drain plug out? No worries. In that case, I get a 3 - 4' length of clear vinyl flexible tubing, something like 1/2" to 5/8" diameter, find a short piece (about 6") of steel tubing or pipe that the vinyl tubing fits snugly inside of, use the weight of the steel pipe to carry tubing to bottom of tank through filler neck of tank. Then simply siphon off what's on the bottom of the tank. At the very least, you'll remove the water that's at the bottom of your tank that would foul your filters anyway.
should have my new lift pump in tomorrow. any advice or tricks on putting it on and getting it going? or is it as simple as bolt on and prime it? Thanks, Jeff
There's no real difficulties replacing a lift pump like that one. You might want to bump engine over until the cam that operates the lift pump has pump lever on low lobe of cam. Just makes it easier to reinstall the lift pump. It looks like you have a banjo fitting on the inlet of the lift pump, might have two seal washers there that you may want to replace. And it looks like the fitting on the outlet of the lift pump has an o-ring seal, I'd replace that for sure.
I would suggest that you also check the cam lobe for wear. I once saw one that was worn badly and was not lifting the pump arm enough to pump fuel. My nephew has a John Deere that I had to file the bottom of the pump opening on the engine block to enlarge the opening. A new lift pump was installed and it had an arm on it that had a bigger top to bottom dimension. That caused the arm to actually lay on the block and not follow the cam lobe for a full stroke.
Turns out that the outlet bolt on the lift pump was clogged with the fungus gunk. When I took the pump apart earlier to clean the screen, I should have removed that bolt and line to the sediment bowl. I drained the tank, took a siphon spray nozzle and sprayed break cleaner into the tank to clean the brown fungus gunk out. Will have to keep fuel treatment going to prevent this from happening again. So far its running and got me back to the shed. Any idea how long it takes to eliminate the fungus? Thanks for all the help! Especially ATCOEQUIP! You provide valuable information to lots of folks on here!
I'm trying to troubleshoot my 555e not starting and it looks like its not getting fuel (sediment separator is empty). I was going to try using the hand primer on the lift pump but I can't find it. The repair manual I have shows that it should be on the right side of the engine below the fuel injection pump but I'm not seeing it there. Could it be somewhere else or is it possible that my machine doesn't have this? (1999 NH 555e)