Hello! I need to rebuild the extendahoe cylinder as it was dismantled by someone else and now I need to put it back together, but I don't have all the parts. The barrel was shorted (one piece of it was cut), because it was bent during the breaking of the extendahoe. So, I don't have the cylinder cap and will have to rebuild it, but I would like to have some drawings from a repair manual or some pictures of the cylinder, or something to start with. Also, I am not sure how the hydraulic hoses connections should be placed. The seals are missing too... Thank you in advance for any info on the subject. I wold not consider buying a cylinder, as it costs ~1000E at salvage yard. This is 1/3 of what the backhoe worths. And I don't make money with it, just got it from a friend, to use it for building my house. Of course, repairing it, is my job.
In order to make it an operational hydraulic cylinder, trying to make and replace missing pieces, it's going to cost you at least a little money to have these parts made or purchase the parts. Maybe not as much as a replacement cylinder, but cost nonetheless. Unless you really need the extendahoe feature, why not simply fabricate a stiff arm out of square tubing to take the place of the cylinder, then put the boom back together. It wouldn't be an extendahoe of course, but you could at least dig with the machine.
Thanks for the replies. I was suspecting that the gland is fastened with a locking wire, but I was not sure. Now, one more piece of the puzzle found. For the beginning I think I could settle without an extendahoe, but I still want to have it functional, even if the length increase will be smaller. One question remins, as to what is the length between the pin eye center to the barrel. This may be important, as it may cause the arm not to fully retract, or maybe loosing some of the travel length. Right now, the arm is at the repair shop, as it was broken (for the third time, I was told), and was welded. I will provide some pics when I'll get it back, because I would like to know where to place the hose connections, and where the hoses run through.
Anyone can please tell me what's the approx. distance between the pin eye and the barrel / cylinder cap?
50"
First, I thought that Gambler was joking, but I realised I might have been misunderstood here. The distance I'm reffering to is less than 2 inches (it's about 4cm) and it's not the distance up to the gland of the cylinder, but to the bottom cap - that part was literally cut and thrown away. Anyway, I ordered a new barrel with the length of 125cm which is ~50" (I had to google first what " means - I found that it should be inches ) The price for the pipe is around 67 Euros / meter, and it's honed on the inside, specially made for cylinders. I'll be posting when I'll have news. Right now, this cylinder is the only thing preventing me from using the tractor. I can't wait to play with it
The news are that I have finished the cylinder rebuild. It was quite challenging and I had A LOT of luck (or Divine intervention) but, long story short: I do have an extendable, functional hoe. The extension is not complete because the barrel is now shorter, but I'm happy with what I managed to do. I The hoses seem to be quite expensive...
Can you describe what is required to replace the hydraulic hoses on the extenda hoe? Is it necessary to remove the entire extenda hoe arm form the dipper sleeve? I have a rupture and one end and fitting is visible, the other disappears down inside the arm. thx
The bad news is that you need to remove the dipper's outer section. The good news is that is not very complicated, nor hard to do. I have managed to do it alone without any lifting equipment (except for the hoe itself). Basically you have to remove the bucket, then the bucket cylinder (optional), the wear plates, disconect the hoses, take out the extendible dipstick cylinder attaching pin - rod end, and that's it, you carefully remove dipper, then the other pin and finally, the cylinder with the hoses attached. If you want, I can send an email (because uploading attachments on this great forum can be a little annoying) with the manual pages of interest, but it's really not complicated. Though, you might want to be extra carefull not to drop the cylinder or the dipper outer section, and cause any trouble!
Thank you for the excellent reply. If you would be so kind as to send the manual pages, I would be very grateful. [email protected]
If you have a 24" bucket or one that is wider, you can leave the bucket attached and slide the inner out of the outer. You can leave the cylinder in place. Sometimes the pin is frozen and you have to press it out. No need to go through all that trouble if you're just working on hoses. If you use the bucket on method, just make sure the outer is secure and doesn't fall over. When you get ready to go back together, it slips together easily as long as you haven't done any welding on the stick when its apart. They warp easily but that's another story.
kriam, sorry for the late response. I've sent you the pages you requested. Good luck. P.S. Indeed, it's not mandatory to remove the bucket, but in my case, I couldn't have done it without it removed.
Please help You made a post in this about emailing someone the instructions for replaceing the hoses in the extendahoe on a ford 655c. Would be ever so grateful if you could foward those to me as well. Would be a life saver. Any chance of that. [email protected]