Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super D engine problem, coolant in oil

Aerohead ยท 2020-01-23 09:36

Hello to everyone. I joined this forum recently after buying a 1982 Case 580 Super D backhoe. I bought this machine off Craigslist and was convinced by the seller it had no problems. He delivered it in my driveway and so I started it up every few days and started buying things like seat, couple hoses, changing hyd. fluid, etc. I checked the oil level just prior to getting ready to change it and found way over full and foamy. I changed the oil and filter any way and started it up. As it was warming up I kept feeling the top and bottom radiator hoses and found them not to be getting warm. I then started adding coolant and it took 2.5 gallons. I started it and immediately saw coolant flowing out of the rad overflow tube. I then opened the rad cap a 1/4 of a turn and coolant gushed out like Niagra falls. So I figured I had 2 problems. Coolant in the oil and combustion in rad. I then removed the thermostat and poured dye in the rad. Let it run a few times and all the while coolant flowed out of the over flow tube. I then pulled the oil pan and found # sleeve leaking bad. I then pulled the head and could not find any problem with the gasket or cracks. I then pulled all the liners and found all the o-rings to be bad (broken/cracked) and I could not find any cracks or bad cavitation in them. The inside of the block looked good with no cavitation or cracks. I want to do an in frame rebuild but am hesitant. I believe I found the coolant in the oil problem being the liners but what about the pressure in the coolant system? Thank you in advance for any help.

Replies18
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-01-23 11:25

    [QUOTE="Aerohead, post: 860006, member: 84517" but what about the pressure in the coolant system? Thank you in advance for any help.[/QUOTE] Welcome to HEF, Aerohead ! Do you have the service manual for it ? You will be needing one. Bolt torque values and head bolt tightening sequences are just a couple of important things you will need to have. From what I just read it seems you are a competent mechanic. If the head gasket was good, magnafluxing the head is probably needed to determine if the head is cracked.

  2. #2Aerohead2020-01-23 21:56

    Well today I looked a lot closer at the block for cracks. I found cracks between cylinder 1 and 2 and also between 2 and 3. I didn't see them at first until I sanded and cleaned those areas, put my reading glasses on and a flashlight did I find them. So now I know where pressure in the cooling system came from. Anybody know where I can find a Case G207DT block for sale? Thank you for your response Tinkerer. wel

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-01-23 22:54

    It isn't unusual for 188 & 207 engines to have those cracks. It has been discussed on HEF before. 188 and 207 engines are available at salvage yards. A bare block may be harder to find. Google is your friend. I vaguely remember a member here had one for sale a few months ago. There is a decent one on ebay now. I have purchased parts from them directly myself. They have a website of their own. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-G207D...136170?hash=item2840d1156a:g:aAQAAOSwwrtZyXY0

  4. #4Aerohead2020-01-24 09:18

    From looking at my parts manual I found the 580 Super D turbo engine is a different animal from the 207 naturally aspirated engine. Different block, crank, pistons, rods, cylinder head, etc. So if I bought a 207 naturally aspirated block my parts wont fit. I'm thinking I need a long block. I never see any turbo engines or hardly any parts for sale as they seem to be rare and they want a lot more money.

  5. #5Aerohead2020-01-24 09:27

    I don't know what I'm going to do with this backhoe. I paid $7000 for it, never got to work it and the engine it shot. The seller doesn't want to hear it. The way I see it he delivered it with fresh oil in the pan and no coolant at all in the radiator. Not to mention all the time and money it took me to diagnose the problems.

  6. #6jimg9842020-01-24 10:08

    if its the way you say it is, civil case, if payed with credit cards get them to reverse charges ( payed with cash and no receipt?) that's a fair price if no major running gear problems,,, you should get fixed for another $3000,00 if got couple good buddies good luck

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-01-24 11:43

    I'm sorry for your problems but, this is what happens when you don't see and run a piece of equipment before buying it. I only posted that to forewarn anyone that reads this as to what bad can happen. Be patient and keep looking for a used motor from a reputable seller. You could put a non turbo charged motor in it. If the tractor and backhoe are in decent shape, it is worth putting a different engine in it. You were going to put a over a $1000.00 in parts in the motor that came in it.

  8. #8edgephoto2020-01-24 20:59

    How long was it between buying it and discovering there was an issue? You could take the person to court. If the machine is in good shape why not just hunt down a short block, long block or used engine for it?

  9. #9Coy Lancaster2020-01-25 10:54

    Have you tried www.conequip.com?

  10. #10Aerohead2020-01-26 09:21

    Yes, I spent most of the day Friday on the internet and phone looking for an engine. I could not find a used one only rebuilt to the tune of $8,000 plus shipping costs. If I found a used one that needed a rebuild I would even consider that. I would want a 207 non turbo. Are there any other engines that would work?

  11. #11Aerohead2020-01-26 09:49

    Here are some pictures of where I at now. I going to pull the engine soon.

  12. #12Tinkerer2020-01-26 11:50

    A cummins 4-390 is a good substitute. It requires a different bellhousing for the conversion. It may be too costly to be feasible tho. Here is a link to some information pertinent to your problem ! ---> HeavyEquipmentForums This 207 is in Virginia. https://www.letgo.com/en-us/i/diesel-207-case-engine_7bd15345-9564-47c9-a20a-408549d3c455 https://www.farmlandtractor.com/b-14-new-used-remanufactured-engines.html

  13. #13Tinkerer2020-01-26 15:31

    And another one ---> https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/used-running-diesel-engine-case-207-en-7696.html 35 580Ds on machinery trader being dismantled. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...ed-machines/list/manufacturer/case/model/580d

  14. #14Aerohead2020-01-27 10:01

    Thank you for this. I had checked into these already. The one in Virginia is sold. The long block 207 at Farmland tractor says 4500 but when you click on it is states 6500 plus 2000 for no core. Again thank you

  15. #15Aerohead2020-01-27 10:05

    These two seem good so I will call them. Thank you

  16. #16Tinkerer2020-01-27 14:16

    Keep in mind Farmland Tractor's engine is completely rebuilt. Injection pump and injectors included. The price is $6500.00 plus shipping. Put it in the shopping cart and you will see that. Your 207 has a lot of valuable parts you can keep or sell if you decided to keep it. I have purchased used parts from them and they are good people to deal with.

  17. #17Aerohead2020-01-28 15:54

    I looked at a JD 410 backhoe/loader for $5000 that is in very nice shape. I know the seller personally and he said he would bring it to an area where I could work it for three hours to be satisfied. It looks and sounds really good. He said he would take my backhoe for weight scrap which would be between $800 and $1,000 but suggested I advertise it on Craigslist selling it whole for $2000 or part it out. So I have my existing machine that I paid $7000 for and would have to buy an engine for not counting my labor and time and what would I have in the end. Believe me this machine looks and sounds great.. He is going to bring it into his shop and have his men go over it making sure its tip top and then call me to come down and work it and check it out. He is only 10 miles from me. So I figure if I like it I may go for it as it will probably cost me more money, time and work to get my case in running shape and I would sell or part out the case. No matter what I do with the case it will cost me more money, time, and labor. What do you guys think considering the JD ends up being a good machine

  18. #18Tinkerer2020-01-28 16:47

    Go for it! I didn't see where that crack in your 207 block went across the top of the block. Consider getting new O rings for the liners in the 207. The coolant leak may have only been coming from that liner seal you mentioned earlier. Put the engine back together and dose it with a good brand of stop leak. You may be able to sell it for more than scrap value.