Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Citgo tractor hydraulic fluid

Oerthedge21 ยท 2020-01-23 07:54

This past weekend I managed to pick up a 1970 case 580CK off Craigslist after finding it for cheap just two towns over. Everything looked decent and it felt good enough so I drove it home, which made a 25 minute drive take 3 hours. Anyhow, the hyd oil is milky, I knew that when I looked at it, very easy to tell as it leaks from just about every cylinder. Once I finish changing the rear diff, shuttle and engine oil and get the brakes and clutch adjusted, I'm gonna go at the hydraulic system. I have a full barrel of citgo tractor hydraulic fluid in my garage that I saved from being thrown out at work a while back, and was wondering if it could be used in my hydraulic system, or possibly shuttle, as I though it meets the same specs as hy-tran, although I'm not positive. Its hard to read much since most of the label on the barrel is gone.

Replies5
  1. #1hosspuller2020-01-23 11:50

    Use the Citco oil to flush your contaminated system since you don't know its specs. Or look it up on the internet if you can identify it. Oil is cheap compared to parts & labor.

  2. #2Delmer2020-01-23 14:23

    I'd use the fluid in the hydraulics in a second. Probably use it in the shuttle too. I wouldn't go changing the hydraulic oil right away. Drain any free water, change the filter, run it, change hoses as needed. After you've used it a while, and gotten most of the bugs worked out, then change the fluid.

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-01-23 16:06

    Welcome to HEF,Ortheedge ! You may this but, there is a specific procedure to flush a hydraulic system. Changing only the oil in the hydraulic tank is a waste of time and oil. I can post the procedure from a service manual if you need it. Like the others said --->use the Citco. I would.

  4. #4mitch5042020-01-23 19:44

    Yeah, a 580CK ain't picky

  5. #5Oerthedge212020-01-24 05:53

    I ordered the service manual, should be here today or tomorrow. I'm gonna try to read more off the label if I get home before dark for once. I got the engine oil changed, no water or fuel thankfully. Got the machine blocked up last night, gonna try and get the diff changed out today or this weekend. After all that's squared away I'm gonna pull and rebuild the cylinders at which point I'll flush all the crap out of the system