Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super L Battery Issues

pioneerconstruc ยท 2014-02-12 19:07

I have a Case 580 Super L and am having issues with the battery draining when I shut the machine down. I just replaced the alternator and starter relay, but it is still doing it (this time the machine was only shut off for about two hours. I was having issues where I was unable to go forward or backward if I used my lights and/or heat, that's why I just replaced the alternator & relay. I will be testing to make sure that particular issue is resolved and update this once I do. HELP!

Replies5
  1. #1Tinkerer2014-02-12 20:02

    How old is the battery ? Sorry, I had to ask. If it is fairly new have you fully charged it and done a load test on it ?

  2. #2grandpa2014-02-12 20:20

    Disconnect the battery ground terminal and put a test light in between the cable and the post,, if you have a draw the light will light. Start unhooking electrical components until you find the culprit.

  3. #3Delmer2014-02-12 20:58

    It sounds like you had a bad alternator, which may have contributed to the battery getting weak, or the weak battery may have contributed to the alternator getting weak. Either way, does the battery hold a charge if one of the cables is disconnected? That and/or Grandpa's suggestion will get you started in the right direction.

  4. #4mikebramel2014-02-12 22:16

    What is the voltage while it is running? Do you have power to energize the alternator?

  5. #5pioneerconstruc2014-02-12 23:21

    It's not new, but I fully charged it and have no problems with it on other things.