Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 super l not shifting

Rick Nettrouer · 2020-02-23 14:32

Got my backhoe stuck in some mud. Took me about an hour to free myself. Was getting dark so let set over night. Next morning moved hoe with out issue and began to dig again. Next thing i know not shifting into forward or reverse. So pull myself to level ground with rear extenda hoe. Pull back to where i can pressure wash the underside, thinking the drive shaft just cant turn because its packed with mud. Got it clean and see nothing externally damaged underneath. But still same thing no moving at all in forward or reverse. Tried all four gears, nothing. Thoughts? Any ideas, i would be thankful.

Replies17
  1. #1highwayghost2020-02-23 14:45

    First is to check the trans oil, dipstick on the left side of the engine compartment. Then the fuse compartment has relays and fuses for F/N/R. Mine stopped moving because of the Shuttle Time delay relay. I used a small jump wire in place of the relay temporarily until I got a new one. $100 See the link. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Rick Nettrouer2020-02-23 15:01

    Ill give it a shot. Thanks.

  3. #3Rick Nettrouer2020-02-27 12:25

    Got My OEM part in and the Silicone sits to high and wont seat ino the plug. I notified MinnPar and they said all their stock looks identical to the what was sent- Just a heads up to anyone in same situation. Looking for an aftermarket at this point....dont get anything for $100 anymore. Stay tuned. Im hoping this is the issue because my original relay checked BAD

  4. #4highwayghost2020-02-27 13:42

    BTW on mine, I had several of the wires with the female spade ends that the relays plug into on the fuse/relay panel came loose from the panel and push in when the relay was installed. This obviously caused a loose connection. I had to unbolt the panel to get to the rear of it to secure the wires and connectors into the backside of the fuse/relay panel. Hoping that makes some kind of sense

  5. #5Rick Nettrouer2020-02-27 13:45

    Makes complete sense - I will check that next. Thanks

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-02-27 17:11

    Trim the silicone with a new single edge razor Rick.

  7. #7Rick Nettrouer2020-02-27 17:45

    I had planned too but they said it would void the warranty. I have ordered another from another source hopefully I'll have better luck. If not it is getting trimmed. They gladly took the part back.

  8. #8Rick Nettrouer2020-03-03 07:32

    Got my new relay oem and it fits snug. No go on shuttle shift. I can here relays engaging when shifting, but unit wont move. Thoughts? Linkage next thing?

  9. #9Rick Nettrouer2020-03-03 12:51

    Update. I was pushing backhoe into barn and tried shuttle shift agai . In reverse it started to move, but when i accelerated it stopped soon as it went back to idle it moved again. Move 60 feet or so, got greedy and tried forwad and now back to no movement. Now im guessing loose connection some plac .

  10. #10highwayghost2020-03-03 12:58

    Check the neutral buttons One on top of the loader handle the other on the four speed shifter on the dash. They often stick and it will be in neutral. Spray them with WD-40 and work them. If that doesn’t work there are several solenoids on top of trans controlled by the shuttle lever on the dash will need checked.

  11. #11highwayghost2020-03-03 13:03

    Mine had those loose terminals on the neutral relay wiring

  12. #12Rick Nettrouer2020-03-03 13:18

    Appreciate the info. I'll post results.

  13. #13Rick Nettrouer2020-03-06 15:02

    Relays checked good, neutrals good. So i drained trans oil, replaced filter, cleaned screen and i removed rubber firewall to access solenoids. Before getting ready to crawl into solenoids I raised the bucket and out of habit put it in foward and it moved. So tried reverse and it moved. Took it iutside and drove for 20 min. All gears forward and reversr....Not a single issue, runs like it always did...WTH?

  14. #14highwayghost2020-03-06 15:32

    Well if it is working then it is hard to find the problem. I still suspect it is electrical, but until it happens again.... Bad connection, relay, stuck solenoid, broken wire. Maybe cut the old filter open and see what you find. Hopefully nothing, and that's a good thing! At least you know your way around it better and fresh trans oil and filter is always a plus.

  15. #15fpgm042020-03-06 15:53

    When you raised your loader did you press the clutch disconnect switch out of habit? I am thinking possibly the switch is intermittent causing your issue, and by pressing it or moving the loader you temporally cleared the issue. Check that clutch disconnect switch and I believe there is one on the gear selection lever as well. Also check the wiring for the clutch disconnect switch around the loader control linkages. Look for wire rubs and other damage to wiring as it can get pinched in that area. Additionally, if the red/black switch cover boots on those switches are still there, make sure they are not crushed down keeping the switch pressed.

  16. #16john Muthara2024-06-08 08:58

    Where is the shuttle time delay relay

  17. #17doghead2024-06-09 18:05

    It is under the loader joystick, inside the fuse panel access, Open the right door from outside and you will be looking in the correct area.