Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super L Series 2 4X4

Squire ยท 2022-07-14 19:09

I have a question on the use of Ice Chains for added traction on soft ground. Mostly used for lot clearing pushing / grading sandy gravel material. Am I pushing the 4X4 system ? Could I be doing any damage to this hoe using these Ice chains just for additional traction? I keep speeds way down & constantly monitor Fluids.

Replies7
  1. #1Finca SDR2022-07-14 20:09

    I dunno anything about doing any other damage except that you'll wreck your work site and farm roads or whatever. I'd make sure they weren't catching on your frame or fenders or axle housings or whatever very carefully, but if they clear with extra space go for it. But I wouldn't/havent because of the mess they'd make. I've definitely thought about it. They'd beat up a SOUP

  2. #21466IH2022-07-14 20:53

    Keep a close eye on hydraulic and torque converter temperatures

  3. #3Squire2022-07-15 08:28

    I have not noticed any real concerns with my finished work. Admittedly, it's not the proper tool. Rubber wheels just don't cut it when clearing leftover tree & brush cuttings. Metal tracks & a good hydraulic thumb are what I could use right now.

  4. #4Finca SDR2022-07-17 19:57

    Every time I get annoyed with my backhoes capabilities I figure it's always easier than a shovel and a wheelbarrow.

  5. #5redneckracin2022-07-18 07:54

    If the traction is poor enough that you need chains, I don't see the harm. I run all 4 wheels chained up on my tractor in the winter time, been doing it for over 10 years now with 0 issues.

  6. #6Squire2022-07-18 11:11

    Thank you all for your thoughts

  7. #7westerner2022-07-18 23:45

    We had chains for the backhoes and loaders at work. Not used nearly as often as on motor graders plowing snow. Damage occurs when they get loose, but not shucked off yet.....