Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Roosa DBGFCC 431 63AJ snag

Jack Wruff · 2022-07-14 22:49

This pumps is on a Case 480C with 188 motor. Apart from the rest of the saga where I got stuck nearly falling off a bank, the motor stopped running. After much messing with the pump/fuel delivery/lack of fuel to injectors, I came to the conclusion the pump has something wrong. Seeing they go for millions of dollars, I decided to take it off and have a look. Followed Adventures with Josh's You Tube for tear down ( really great help, thanks Josh) Discovered the Governor Thrust Sleeve fractured the flange at the outer side and one of the weights slipped and jammed up the movement but not the rotation. Slight scoring in this chamber but nothing seems to have gone further into the pump. I have looked. Hopefully, I will find new parts and re-assemble and be a happy chappie. This happened to anyone on this forum ? Also would appreciate an explanation for all the close but different pump numbers. Thanks in anticipation.

Replies20
  1. #1thepumpguysc2022-07-15 09:44

    Each # & letter in the mdl # means something different.. Some pictures would help us(me) understand what your saying.. The flyweights just don’t slip out.. Look closely at the flex ring.. it’s under the weight cage and u need to remove the C-clip to get to it.. PAY ATTENTION to the orientation of the cage.!! If u get it on backwards, it’ll never start again.. But those are the chances you take when you do ur own pump.

  2. #2Jack Wruff2022-07-15 15:56

    Thanks Pump Guy, Here's some snaps. I forgot to mention the bent cage btw. I have seen there's an option for the cage that is solid, would that be a good way to go ? Sometimes one can be stuck for choice when it comes to these kinds of repair. I wish I had the money to employ a pump person, but I don't and have to take this risk. Hopefully there might be a bit of encouragement comes down the pike on this thread. We live in hope.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2022-07-15 16:26

    Holy Smokes.!!! Check your private msgs..

  4. #4Tinkerer2022-07-15 16:48

    My word of encouragement is to send the mess to thepumpguy for a professional rebuild.

  5. #5Welder Dave2022-07-15 16:58

    I'm the furthest thing from a pump guy unless you count pumping thousands of gallons of water, but I was thinking the same thing when I saw the bent up cage. How does that happen in an injection pump?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-07-15 18:35

    To be honest Dave, I don’t know.?? Looking at the flex ring, it’s fresh.. real fresh.. The only thing I can think of is: It looks like a fresh rebuild and whoever put it on, fkd up and didn’t tie the throttle back and the flyweights came out of the cage.. Jack will hafta clarify THAT..

  7. #7Welder Dave2022-07-15 19:06

    It had to take some serious force to bend that cage.

  8. #8Jack Wruff2022-07-21 16:42

    I've rebuilt the pump with new cage, weighs and thrust sleeve. Didn't see anything untoward inside. Didn't mess with the leaf spring. Installed pump, (fun) Now have fuel to the injectors. But no fire, not even a whiff of smoke !! Any clues as to where to look next please.

  9. #9jimg9842022-07-21 17:19

    check to if return line putting back to tank, should have some fuel retining bac to tank

  10. #10Jack Wruff2022-07-21 17:23

    When I try starting, the engine lopes sounding like one cylinder might be interested. Will check return pipe for fuel, nothing showed on return line to pump. Thanks for the reply JimG.

  11. #11Jack Wruff2022-07-21 19:12

    Think I end my amateur affection with this pump and take it to the professionals, much like what was advised straight away after I posted my problem. Tell ya, it has been classic frustrating fun !! Took the engine cover and the air cleaner off today in order to give injectors etc a good cleaning so I could really see and I must have been dreaming I saw fluid when I cracked the connectors to the injectors. Nothing, and nothing on the return side. So Pump Shop, here I come. It'll be raining by the time I get it back no doubt. Thanks for all the help here. Great site inhabited by generous people.

  12. #12thepumpguysc2022-07-22 22:05

    I’d be happy to have a look at it.. I’ve got 35years experience rebuilding pumps for a living.. U can contact me thru a prvt msg.

  13. #13Welder Dave2022-07-23 00:36

    Take thepumpguy up on his offer! He is one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum and is the undisputed injection pump guru.

  14. #14Jack Wruff2022-07-30 21:47

    Got pump back looking really pretty. $1000 after having spent money on parts followed by a $700 rebuild. Installed, bled. NO FIRE !! No fuel in return line, what's that about ? Frustrated to hell and back.... Considered new injectors for $140 to discover these Case 188 injectors need a $160 puller !!

  15. #15thepumpguysc2022-07-31 00:51

    When u ignore the advice given by the masses, u get what u get.. Did u contact the people that did your pump.??

  16. #16Jack Wruff2022-07-31 12:09

    Hey Pumpguy, I didn't ignore the advice and I don't expect to get crappy replies like yours. I appreciated your help and guidance from earlier communications but the above response is.....

  17. #17thepumpguysc2022-07-31 15:08

    Did u bleed the air out AT the pump inlet.?? Leave the line loose until fuel was present.?? It does take a few minutes for gravity to work the fuel thru.. When cranking, do u have the throttle pulled back to wide open AND the shut off in the run position AGAINST THE STOP SCREWS.. It’s easy to put the shut off cable in wrong.. OH.. IF u shipped it off, it’s SUPER EASY for the shut off lever to get bent and catch on the side window, not allowing the shaft to move its full travel.!!! MAKE SURE it’s going from stop screw to stop screw.!!! Good luck

  18. #18Tinkerer2022-07-31 15:26

    Thepumpguy didn't give you a crappy reply. Two members advised you as to where to send the pump for a rebuild. He has perfect track record for his work. He has done work for me and a multitude of other members here through the years. You ignored our advise. I really hope you have a simple fuel delivery issue to the pump. Don't even consider pulling and replacing the injectors until the IP is delivering fuel to them. IMHO ! Special puller for the injectors ?? I never needed one. I lady slipper bar and patience is what I used to use.

  19. #19thepumpguysc2022-07-31 16:05

    Last time I bought one it was 130.00.. & that was the last time I loaned it out w/o a deposit (150.00)

  20. #20thepumpguysc2022-07-31 16:16

    Ferrum tools.. 105.00 PENCIL INJECTOR PULLER