Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 580 super R Pattern change help

firestarter · 2013-01-03 14:11

Hello, I have just bought myself a 580 super R (2007) to use on the farm. The thing is that I want to change the control pattern. At the moment it is the same pattern as an excavator (not sure of the technical name..) and I’m used to my old CAT 428 pattern. Is it an easy job and do I need to buy new linkage rods? If so where from…? Any help would be appreciated

Replies24
  1. #1Tinkerer2013-01-03 14:41

    Alrman's #9 post in the following linked page may be what you need to do. Usually switching hoses will not work for a pattern change according to what the professional mechanics are saying. Unless of course your machine is an exception. here is the link HeavyEquipmentForums !

  2. #2firestarter2013-01-03 14:54

    Cheers for that Tinkerer. I’ve been doing a bit of searching on here but couldn’t find anything. The machine is getting a bale handler fitted (via quick hitch) by the dealer at the mo but i will have a go at it as soon as i get it home! Thanks again

  3. #3mitch5042013-01-03 15:21

    wow, you have an R? the 580 N is the newest available in the USA.

  4. #4d4c24a2013-01-03 15:22

    best off and cheapest way , is sit on a pile of muck for a day , before you know it will be natural

  5. #5d4c24a2013-01-03 15:24

    we are on the ST now ,but its still a hybrid between case and NH

  6. #6firestarter2013-01-03 15:27

    Hello Mitch, It is not new?? the year is 2007? maybe its called something different in the US? here are some pics... And d4c24a, I may just take your advice if the conversion looks tricky..

  7. #7d4c24a2013-01-03 15:35

    we had one that was changed over with the correct kit to X pattern (jcb) never did "feel" right ,old driver came back and it got put back again just about to put a near new 2ft bucket on ebay for one cheers graham

  8. #8Tony H2013-01-03 15:40

    I just bought a JCB sold in the UK and America as well as other places. I could have ordered that unit With Stick options. The one I am used to where the Boom is controlled with the left stick and Bucket and Dipper in Right Stick. I think possibly there were different standards for different contries.

  9. #9firestarter2013-01-03 15:46

    not sure what pattern is what... but the one i want is where the "arm roll" and "Bucket roll" are on the right stick and the "swing" and "Boom up/down" is on the left. ahh you have spotted the "slightly used" condition of the bucket.... just out of interest (because i have no money after buying this) how much do you want for yours?

  10. #10firestarter2013-01-03 15:49

    yeah same here Tony. It just feels wrong the other way round... but if i have to i will get used to it

  11. #11Tony H2013-01-03 15:52

    My owners manual has the name for the different styles. I will post back later when I get home to the manual... not that it really helps your situation but it's good info.

  12. #12firestarter2013-01-03 15:55

    cheers Tony, I may sound like i know what im talking about then.....

  13. #13Tony H2013-01-03 16:43

    The pattern where the left hand operates both Boom operations (Boom and Slew Right hand operates the Dipper and the Bucket is known as SAE "+" The one where the Left hand controls the Slew and Dipper and right hand lowers and lifts Boom and works Bucket is called ISO "+" I wont even get started on the Control Pod option..

  14. #14firestarter2013-01-03 16:46

    cheers for that Tony. SAE is the fella for me

  15. #15d4c24a2013-01-03 16:48

    sounds like you have the SAE pattern , but want the ISO pattern the bucket is in very good condition with little wear ,about 1 weeks use found a picture of it ,looking for about £100 for it yours looks like the side shift has never been moved , or has it had a paint job cheers graham

  16. #16firestarter2013-01-03 16:57

    I have the ISO and want the SAE. The side shift may not have been moved, it was a local authority machine used only at an amenity site for pushing rubbish in skips and loading compost. They cut the teeth of the bucket for some reason... It would cost me the same to ship it here... the Irish Sea is a very expensive piece of water...

  17. #17trevor b2013-01-03 17:57

    look's like a super L or m here trevor b

  18. #18Tinkerer2013-01-03 19:11

    Here is a copy and paste from a .pdf Case brochure I found on the internet. I hope it is the same model you have. NEW BACKHOE "PILOT CONTROL" OPTION The fully adjustable control lever towers (sideways / backwards & forward) ensure a comfortable working position for all types and sizes of operators. For safety, the pilot control can be disabled. If required, the control systems can be switched between backhoe and excavator patterns to suit all operators. Here is a link to the Case .pdf literature. It took my computer a minute or two to load the page. http://www.cse.co.za/assets/pdf/CASE/loader-backhoes/580SR-Series.pdf Here is a link to a service manual on ebay. It should have the pattern change info. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-580SR-...er-TLB-Service-Repair-Manual-CD-/221162592906 And one more: http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/155671423-case-580-super-r-backhoe-loader-technical

  19. #19DGODGR2013-01-03 21:36

    Those European units look more like the New Hollands than what we are used to for Case products here in the states. To me, that one looks like a Case chassis with the NH boom and dipper. The loader does not quite look like a true North American model either. Anyway, the unit in the photos does not look like it has pilot controls. To me it looks like it's still a mechanical set up. To correctly change patterns a kit is available (in the US anyway) to convert to the opposing pattern. Check with your nearest/favorite dealer for pricing and avilability. I am not very familiar with the Case TLBs but if it is a complex hydraulic system (such as closed center, load sensing) the circuit priorities will not be correct if you simply switch hoses around. If it's a simple open center, gear driven pump then switching hoses may work fine. The sure fire way to do it is with a factory kit, as I mentioned above. If it is actually a pilot controlled machine I would think it has a pattern changer already installed. Then all you have to do is locate it and switch the pattern. As far as the patterns go it's not quite as simple as SAE vs ISO. SAE has (2) patterns based on size of the machine. SAE for a large machine (L/H operates crowd and swing, R/H operates boom and bucket) is often also called "Cat controls" (here in the states anyway). SAE for small hoes is also known as "John Deere controls", (L/H is for swing and boom, R/H is for bucket and crowd) and is the same as the "ISO" pattern.

  20. #20Tony H2013-01-04 08:25

    Same here.. Hey, is there a way to edit a Post? I'm constantly mispelling words and , as in my last Post, forgetting to put a paretheses. After I click on 'Reply' can I go back and fix that on this forum?

  21. #21mitch5042013-01-04 11:57

    If you look at your post within the first hour, you'll see an edit post button at the bottom. After an hour you are out of luck.

  22. #22Tony H2013-01-04 12:04

    Thx ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Oh yeah, there it is..

  23. #23firestarter2013-01-06 04:30

    Thanks for the info DGODGR, I will ask a dealer if I can get hold of a kit. The manufacturers don’t make it easy with naming the patterns do they.... So its "small SAE or ISO" that I'm after

  24. #24DGODGR2013-01-06 11:15

    If you want to control the Boom and swing with your L/H, and crowd and bucket with your R/H, then yes, you want ISO (since you are on the Isle of Man I doubt the dealer will be familiar with SAE as it's a US standardizing body-"Society of Automotive Engineers"). If you have noticed, the only difference between the (2) patterns is that the boom and crowd switch hands. IMO this is why it's so difficult to go back and forth between the patterns. It's so similar that it makes it hard to overide your muscle memory.