Bearings on the Delco-Remy Alternator on my Case 580B backhoe are going out and I want to replace the whole alternator. I think it's a GM 10si 2 wire alternator , 63 Amp with a 2.75 inch OD pulley with external fan that runs a 1/2 inch V Belt. Can anybody confirm this and. What the clock position is on this one? Since alternator prices are $150-$200 plus locally, I'm trying to find the best deal on one (maybe a closeout) on Rock Auto but they only search by year, make, & model. I've read on here that the following vehicles used the alternator I need can anybody confirm other years, makes, models (and/or ACDelco or Remy part numbers) that ran the alternator I need to replace this one. 1) 1979 Monte Carlo 2) 1884 El Camino No A/C 3) ? 4) ? .
I looked it up, a 1979 monte carlo (My choice for many alternator conversions on other equipment) and it has several different models. 32 amp 37 amp 42 amp 55 amp 60 thru 63 amp The ones I usually scavenge usually have A/C, so that is probably the 60-63 amp unit. I picked that on the junkyard site www.car-part.com , and it seems any GM vehicle, car or truck, from about 1973 thru 1982 had that alternator. Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, Buicks, Chevys, etc. You should be able to re-clock anything you get a good deal on.
Yrs ago i stuck a delco alternator on my 1974 580B for the built in regulator with no problem and I'm no mechanic . I didn't look for any special one at the time just the first one I came across probably 28 or 32 amp.
Or, get a NAPA ECH ARK101 rebuild kit for $25 and fix it.
Replaced alternator on my 580C 2 years ago, same animal, $68 with exchange from NAPA in town. Just loosen the pulley nut and pulley so you can swap if different. #EDIT-Gone up a little Napa- $97 and change.
For anybody that might be looking for an easy solution to this, I found an ACDelco Reman part # 334-2114 10si 63 Amp 2 Wire 66mm OD Pulley Reman *Will need to be re-clocked Rock Auto shows $43 ( $36 + $7 core) shipping and tax put it at $70 for me and 10 days shipping. Found one local for $73 and will have it in hand in 2 days. .
On the 334-2114 had the change the pulley out to the 72mm pulley that was on the original alternator. New set up works great for $70
I looked it up on rockauto, and while the 334-2114 number worked good in "part search" on the site, I thought I would see what it says about actual vehicles it fit. This is a copy and paste from the site in case that part number goes away. AMERICAN MOTORS 1971-1985 BUICK 1973-1985 CHECKER 1974-1977 CHEVROLET 1969-1986 GMC 1973-1988 JEEP 1971-1988 OLDSMOBILE 1975-1982 PONTIAC 1969-1983 ACDELCO 3342114 Specifications Alternator Case Material Aluminum Amperage Rating 63 DE to Pulley 1st Groove (mm) 24.0mm DE to Rotor Shaft End (mm) 29.0 Decoupled Or Clutch Pulley No External Fan Included Yes Family Delco Fan Type External Finish Same as OE Ground Type Negative Height (IN) 7 Length (IN) 8.1 Mounting Type 1 Pivot Foot Plug Clock Rear View Main Mounting Ear at 6 O Clock 9 Pulley Belt Type V-Belt Pulley Included Yes Regulator Type Internal Rotation Direction Clockwise (Right) Voltage 12 vDC Voltage 12.0 Weight (lb) 10.43 Width (IN) 7.6