Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B CK value?

mcc92 ยท 2009-03-12 12:21

I am looking at buying a backhoe. Does anyone know what a 1970's Case 580B CK is worth in decent shape?

Replies4
  1. #1TD-52009-03-14 14:06

    mcc, It seems to depend on area & demand, in general I see them going for $10,000 & up..... when I see one advertized locally. When I've looked on E-bay they seem to go in the $6000 to $12000 range. I paid $5700 CDN for mine over 10 years ago & it was beat, I've put a lot of time into repairs on the old slave, but found that even the parts are not that cheap any more, so repairs soon add up even if your doing the work yourself. One draw back of the B series & earlier machines is they are of unitized construction like a farm tractor, so you need to split the machine for major repairs.... like to the shuttle trans, if you can even find parts for those shuttles is even questionable. I pearsonally would try to find a later machine, I think they went to component style construction with the C or D series

  2. #2accumac2009-03-14 14:44

    The way that the newer machines values have dropped, I would put the value on a 580B closer to $3 or $4K. 80's machines are going for under $10K at the auctions. Accumac

  3. #3TD-52009-03-14 20:29

    I'd agree with the economy the way it is,they should be going for a lot less than what I'd stated. Unfortunately in my area I haven't seen a lot of price movement in the older machines, although I haven't been following 580B prices lately. I've been looking at older excavators with the idea of picking one up for ranch work. Dealer pricing on older machines have not dropped very much over the last 4-6mths, but then their inventory doesn't seem to be moving either. Ritchie bros has 3 auctions coming up this month , 2 in western Canada, & 1 in Washington, so i'll see what the prices are like.

  4. #4hbarski2009-04-06 21:58

    I picked up my 580B about 6 months ago and gave $8,000. It was in great shape and had 4000 hrs on it.