Hello I was operating a friends case 680H it overheated as identified by skipping a little. Gauge doesn't work. I shut it down let if cool and the radiator was low so I topped it off and ran it for 3 hrs and all seemed good. Then I parked it for a year upon return to the machine the oil was over filled by about 3-4 quarts. but the radiator level looks like where I left it (then again not sure what 3-4 quarts would look like in the radiator) . So I'm guessing the radiator level dropped and went into the oil pan Causing the overheat . I don't recall checking the oil at that time. I might have i Might not have. Machine ran and started perfectly and did so even with the overfilled oil. (only ran for 1 minute to confirm start run) Did a oil change on it let it run. No bubbles in the radiator no smoke, no blowby, and no coolant in oil but only let it run for 15 minutes. So where to go from here? I'm thinking the original radiator loss could have been due to a leaking engine oil cooler but don't know if that's a thing or not. Has anyone seen them leak on a case A336bd engine? Could I pressurize the radiator and pull the oil filter to see if its leaking there? or would it leak into the block? Sounds fine and normal when running so I think the bearings survived for now.... Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Your friend let you borrow his machine for over a year? I need friends like that!
Welcome to HEF, RJ ! The oil cooler is unlikely the problem because the engine oil pressure is much higher that the radiator pressure. Was the tractor parked outside with an open exhaust pipe ? The bearings may be damaged. I would advise you to remove the oil pan and check them. Could be cylinder liner "O" rings leaking or a cracked head. Fill the radiator and pressurize it while the oil pan is off and you will see the coolant dripping - if that is the problem. I have the service manual for the engine if you need it.
That makes sense. Unfortunately he's hauling it out to have a diesel mechanic look at it I was hoping for a simple fix....
Well RJC. How did it all ended.
Still sitting at the mechanic. Of course he's upset because of the situation. But I think something was damaged before I overheated it. Because coolant isn't supposed to just disappear. And it only got ran for like 10 hrs the year before. I did find some post somewhere some kind of seals or guides or something in the head that can dry out and cause a coolant leak. But won't know until the mechanic gets to it.... (Telling him "no rush" doesn't help).